Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The man wants a longrod for the surf and you steer him toward an 8-footer with a Daiwa 50?? Don't listen to them t, they're full of crap. Your size is in no way shape or form a limiting factor and anyone who says it is has their head up their ass. You can handle any rod you want. Meet up with us on Sat and see for yourself. Shoot me a PM on the other forum and lets get you squared away with the rod and reel you want, not what some armchair ******* says you need.
Where in hell did you see him say "I want a long rod for Surf…" from what I've been reading he's only mentioned "nearshore" fishing, and "boat fishing" and as far as I'm concerned for a 5'5" person (size really doesn't matter) a 5' tuna stick would suffice, either for bait fishing or shark fishing (especially if the method used is balloon drift trolling), with about 60-80# braided line and a 4-6' stainless steel leader… the rest depends on the area and species you're looking for.

p.s. just for the record, I'm using this with a PENN Senator works just fine :fishing:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
No, I am familiar, thanks. Helped a few people get a few more feet out of them. Watched Cody Bates snap one in half here in Linden at the oche.

I was asking the fella, who is asking why it is being assumed he wants a long rod for the surf. I was wondering if he was familar with the 13' surf rods the OP is referring to by name and model.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a lot of expierence fishing california. for those fish, you want the rod that will cast the farthest for you. that being said you are going to need 4 to8 oz sputnik sinkers,(big waves, lots of current,and radical tide changes). you need to throw 4 to 6 " fresh dead sardine, or a whole squid 100 yards. to do this you need one of the LDX rods, you need to learn about ghost cocoon bait thread, clip down rigs and casting techniqe.

the fish you are going to catch aren't huge, if you are using a spinner I would recomend 30lb test braid with 60lb test braid shock leader. An abu or akios 6500 hundred reel with 15lb mono would work real well. 40 t0 50 ib sock leader

41 - 47 of 47 Posts