Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week, I got a PM and a couple of e-mails, asking about the Breakaway Cannon. So, to help others out in the future, here's a brief description.

The BREAKAWAY CANNON . . .

The purpose of the Breakaway Cannon is to prevent slicing your finger while casting heavy weights and/or large baits, especially when using braided line, on a Spinning Reel (In the UK - a "Fixed-Spool" reel).

The spool on a Spinning Reel rotates to allow a fish to take line against the force of the Drag, without exceeding the breaking strength of the line.

When casting a heavy weight and/or a large bait, the drag may slip during the cast and the line can slice your finger . . . In the case of braid, deeply !

Also, the more power that is being put into the cast, even with lighter weight(s), the more chance there is for the drag to slip under pressure, due to Centrifugal Force.

Whenever you are casting, including Conventional & "Multiplier" (UK) reels, a “Shock Leader” is recommended to prevent the danger of a heavy weight with sharp hooks breaking free and causing serious injury . . .

The “Rule of Thumb” for Shock Leaders is 10lb of breaking strength for every Ounce of weight you are throwing, including the weight of the bait. Weaker casters can get away with slightly less, but a powerful caster should always follow the “10lb per Ounce” rule.

The Breakaway Cannon prevents the spool from rotating during the cast, by having the line wrapped around a “capstan” on it, secured by a finger-released “trigger”. It is an excellent device, which prevents injury and allows increases in casting distance, since you are able to put more power into the cast, without the line slipping.

Tight Lines !!!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Last week, I got a PM and a couple of e-mails, asking about the Breakaway Cannon. So, to help others out in the future, here's a brief description.

The BREAKAWAY CANNON . . .

The purpose of the Breakaway Cannon is to prevent slicing your finger while casting heavy weights and/or large baits, especially when using braided line, on a Spinning Reel (In the UK - a "Fixed-Spool" reel).

The spool on a Spinning Reel rotates to allow a fish to take line against the force of the Drag, without exceeding the breaking strength of the line.

When casting a heavy weight and/or a large bait, the drag may slip during the cast and the line can slice your finger . . . In the case of braid, deeply !

Also, the more power that is being put into the cast, even with lighter weight(s), the more chance there is for the drag to slip under pressure, due to Centrifugal Force.

Whenever you are casting, including Conventional & "Multiplier" (UK) reels, a “Shock Leader” is recommended to prevent the danger of a heavy weight with sharp hooks breaking free and causing serious injury . . .

The “Rule of Thumb” for Shock Leaders is 10lb of breaking strength for every Ounce of weight you are throwing, including the weight of the bait. Weaker casters can get away with slightly less, but a powerful caster should always follow the “10lb per Ounce” rule.

The Breakaway Cannon prevents the spool from rotating during the cast, by having the line wrapped around a “capstan” on it, secured by a finger-released “trigger”. It is an excellent device, which prevents injury and allows increases in casting distance, since you are able to put more power into the cast, without the line slipping.

Tight Lines !!!
I never get PM'd about questions about anything:) except once when a certain fishy story about a Turtle hit and run off of Ramp 23 got deleted by the Mods...even though after 10-15 Busch Beers I am pretty much an expert on anything including pugilism.

So a powerful caster (Like myself:cool:) when chucking 10 and bait I should be using 100lb Shock line?:rolleyes: according to this cut and pasted bit of information?

Is a 100 pound Shock line knot trying to clear the guides more dangerous to bystanders than more traditional 50-60 pound test used by the average weaker Hatteras Drum fellas (weaker as in all the other Hatteras fellas not named Garbo)? Or can we take this cut and pasted information from who knows where as Gospel except for minor inconsistencies?

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a powerful caster (Like myself:cool:) when chucking 10 and bait I should be using 100lb Shock line?:rolleyes: according to this cut and pasted bit of information?

Is a 100 pound Shock line knot trying to clear the guides more dangerous to bystanders than more traditional 50-60 pound test used by the average weaker Hatteras Drum fellas (weaker as in all the other Hatteras fellas not named Garbo)? Or can we take this cut and pasted information from who knows where as Gospel except for minor inconsistencies?
Ask Tommy Farmer and other "powerful casters" . . . I didn't make up the 10lb/oz. number for shock leaders.

As for "cut & paste" . . . I wrote that myself . . . Try using a Google search before you put your foot in your mouth !

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Ask Tommy Farmer and other "powerful casters" . . . I didn't make up the 10lb/oz. number for shock leaders.

As for "cut & paste" . . . I wrote that myself . . . Try using a Google search before you put your foot in your mouth !
I just did a Google search for "Hot Mamas" and "Cheerleader uniform malfunctions" and found nothing on shock lines:)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the cannon works o.k. for me on spinning stuff , got 2. Had that guide problem once...then replaced small guides with larger ones..

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
is anyone strong enough to break a 50lb mono shock with 8oz + bait....other than garbo

i have 3 cannons and love them, not so much for casting and clean release (which i like) but more so in that you do not have to tighten the drag down every single time u cast

·
Registered
787 Posts
Can't wait for my morning BM to check in and see where this thread goes. Anything over 60-70 seems to me to have diminishing returns even for the strongest casters. IMHO

·
Registered
492 Posts
is anyone strong enough to break a 50lb mono shock with 8oz + bait....other than garbo

i have 3 cannons and love them, not so much for casting and clean release (which i like) but more so in that you do not have to tighten the drag down every single time u cast
Sure, have done it several times. I use 60 and still break it once or twice a yr. All it takes is the smallest knick down near the sinker and its done for. Its not all about size,though I am a big guy, has a lot more to do with speed.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
but u still use 60 right....not 100...and agree, strength/size plays minimal role compared to timing and loading the rod right, was just messing around

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well my throne time came early so I'm checking back in, this is about where I expected this to head. Glad we can discredit Garbos decades of fishing experience to his late joining date. Maybe he was busy fishing or writing his memoirs.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Ive broken an ocean master 6-12 ROD when casting an 8oz pin rig anchor, but never broke a 50lb leader on a cast with 8nbait
Many of the serious drum fishers i know have recently adopted 40lb test as their standard 8nbait leader. No accident that i have heard of.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
dave let me help you out here, and this is coming from someone who is not a drum fisherman and would be the first to admit it....yes th 10lb per 1 oz rule is known by everyone....however once you get to a certain lb test shock, around 50 or so if u listen to the old salts (who i would always trust if i were u) there comes a point where you do not break your shock even with 8 and bait. the real drum fishermen can correct me if i am mistaken, which happens.

i fish pomps and sometimes need a long cast, i use an otg, and throw up to 3-4oz and hence i use 30-40lb shock when i am doing more than lobbing it in the 1st gut. since most bottom rigs are tied out of 30lb fluoro or less u have to be mindful of this, hence the earl brinn or FM rig really shines.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Maybe you should ask Tommy Farmer, Cause when I've fished with him he used 50-60 like most Drumers

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I use 100 lbs shock leader for my heaver setup. Uni to uni knot with 30 lbs power pro main line. The trick is to trim your tag lines so they don't fray. Makes a huge difference when power casting.

P.S. Breakaway cannon is for b$&tches

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
#50 is all you need....#80-100 Braid shock/#100 mono shocks are for those making up for inadequacies....It's kinda like a .458 Mag for Whitetails....

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I usually use 50lb Big Game, which actually breaks around 70lb, give or take.

I think the biggest problem would be the shock leader getting weaker, from wear & tear, as it's being used.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts