Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice pic of the striper but...striper are out of season in the bay and it's tributaries. Doesn't matter if you gut hooked and killed it or not. You have to feed it to the crabs. Make sure you know the regs before you get yourself a ticket.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I gut hooked him on really light croaker tackle and by the time i got him in he was belly up. I then had to wait another 5 min for a lady to run to her car and grab a net. So instead of throwing it back in and letting crabs or those other fishmen try to snag it i took it home. I feel that if a fish is dead whats the differece if i take it home or if the crabs eat it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try using circle hooks next time (see thread in the Open Forum). If, however, the fish is gut hooked I'd recommend that you immediately cut the leader as close to the hook as possible, thoroughly attempt to revive the fish, and let it go. The fish still has a good chance of making it, even with the hook inside it. The longer you handle the fish the more damage it sustains.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Shoeless--while the season is closed in Va., it's not closed in the entire bay. It's spring trophy season up here in Md.--one fish over 28" per day.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
but flea, the fish in question was caught in Virginny........
Out of season/undersize fish taking is a no no, regardless of gut hookings and such.

Play by the rules, or don't play.

Hopefully, Brandon has learned a lesson, although his response doesn't make it sound like it.
I'd take the photo down, otherwise it's bound to get lots of mileage on these here boards.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sand Flea, I know about the MD season, but Brandon's pic states he was VA waters. Those are some nice looking fish you all are getting up there. Can't wait to get up to IRI this weekend and hit the jetties.

Brandon, I feel your pain on letting a nice fish slide back to the crabs, but the law is very clear and don't want to see you or any others get a ticket for illegal fish. Read below:

B. It shall be unlawful for any person fishing recreationally to possess any striped bass while fishing in an area where or at a time when there is no open recreational striped bass season. Striped bass caught contrary to this provision shall be returned to the water immediately.

The law does not differentiate between dead or alive, a fish is a fish.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I wasn't saying it was legal to keep a Va. fish (and frankly it didn't even cross my mind when I posted it)--I was just clarifying that it's not the entire bay and its tributaries where this is illegal--just in Va., parts of the Potomac, and the Susquehenna spawning grounds of the stripers.

As to taking the picture out of the gallery...I'll leave that at Brandon's discretion. Personally I'd want it taken down because an officer could use it as photographic proof that the fish was taken illegally, but I'll wait to hear from him.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree, don't break the law. It just isn't worth it. The law is written in the way it is in order to be enforcable. If the rules only pertained to live fish we all know that some people would take advantage of it by claiming that their fish died while bringing them in even when they could have been released.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I never thought keeping a Dead Fish would cause such a disscusion. I guess next time i will throw the damn fish in the water and let him float away.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good Idea Brandon. Law is law, and it needs to be enforced or like someone said above everyone would take advantage and we would have no fish eventually.

As a consilation, just know that if you threw the "dead" fish back the crabs or something else would eat it, and something else would eat that and so on. Its the circle of life in the wild that eventually leads back to the next striper you catch.

I understand how you feel about your fish though, so don't feel like everyone is verbally beating up on you. Like you said you are going to throw the next one back so you have decided to do what is right and thats what counts most of all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brandon, I fully understand that it feels kind of stupid to have to let go of a dead fish, but in order for the system to work it should still be done.

I've never killed a fish from exhaustion because I always fish with at least #15 line. Using heavier tackle is something you may want to consider if there are stripers around, even when targeting smaller fish like croakers.

I for one am not going to make this personal. All I want to do is get some good advice out there about catch & release practices.

:)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I guess next time i will throw the damn fish in the water and let him float away.
Hey Brandon,get yourself some circles an rig em up.Ya gonna need em for cob.... er C season soon. ;) See ya on SG. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right is right and wrong is wrong. I been fishing with Brandon for almost 2 years and he has come a long long way. The kid dont even keep fish and dont eat fish he is a sportsman. The evening he caught the fish he called me bragging how big the fish was. He then told me he kept the fish. I didnt agree with his choice and decision but i kind of see why he did it. But i think he still should of released the fish. I know the times i fished with him he sticks by the rules. Also Brandon it wasnt a good idea to send in the pic cause you knew this was coming. Oh to add to it Brandon felt bad cause it was a mommy striper getting ready to lay her eggs. Until our next encounter.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Brandon not to add fuel to the fire but just for information. A friend of mine got charged 85 bucks for a gut hooked Speckled trout and they are not Federally protected. The fines fro Stripers have been much higher in the past. (I have info on a few fines and they can hurt you bad pm me if you want details).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts