Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you guys out there that if you making the transition from mono to braided....get ready its a lot different. ON mono i held my thumb on the spool when casting it w/ my baitcaster. When i put the braided on it didn't go anywhere when i held it down. So i let go of the spool and to my suprise it casted clean w/ out backlashing. DON'T EVER LET GO OF THE SPOOL W/ MONEY, YOU WILL SPEND THE REST OF YOUR DAY GETTING BACKLASH OUT :eek:

P.S What happened to (brandon^) haven't heard him complain or post in a while? :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cdog, i Meant to say, "Don't ever let go of the spool w/ MONO!!it will just backlash if your not carefull.

Jighead, for fish sensitivity its GREAT. There is no stretch in the line what so ever so no matter what size the fish you will know you had a bite. And you don't have to set the hook as hard simply b/c it doesn't stretch. Just casually set it, w/ money you will have to set it a lot harder. I think braided line is the best choice for fishing w/ baitcasters.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Backlash87,I don't know what you are talking about. If you have th reel dialed in you don't worry about backlashes. With braid I have heard its even worse. With my slosh's I cast an don't put my thumb near th spool unless it starts to fluff.From what I have heard if you want to spend a day picking fluff,use a conv. with braid on it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Braid on a baitcaster? Maybe for a freshwater, lightweight outfit it would be OK - but trying to dig out a backlash with braided line in the middle of the night in the surf does not sound like a good idea to me.

And like CDog said, you can tell when the reel is overtaking the line going out on a cast and use the "ol' thumb" to tame it. ;)

Thank you but I'll stick with mono on my conventional reels. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing you have to do is spool the braid realy tight. Most people have problems b/c w/ braid you have to tie on a little mono on the beggining of the spool so braid doesn't slip. People who don't do those things result in backlashes w/ braids. But if you do those 2 things, braid will be your new best friend. It far outways the mono, but does have its cons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts