Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading th braid cuts mono debate for a coulpe of years now so I decided to do an experiment.

Braid-10 pound test 4 pound dia. Berkley Fireline. * Bought last month*
Mono-12 pound test Stren High Impact. *spool of mono is 2-3 yr old*

So if th reality is braid cuts mono like a hot knife thru butter then th mono should have been cut. However what actually happened is I sawed on th mono with th braid for 10 min. an it didn't part. As a matter of fact there was no damage, knicks etc to th mono at all. While th braid looked rather poor an I'm sure if I had th patietnce(sp) th braid would have parted. So anyway not scientific but thats my personal experience with th braid VS mono debate.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've never used braided line but i've been fishing with people that have and personally can't say i have ever seen braid cut through mono. I've seen 'em get wrapped together and it makes a real cluster (insert bad word here). but as far as cutting through the mono it's kind of hard to picture. I think it would depend a lot on the stength of the mono and how much tention was already on the line. IMHO i think all the hype about braid cutting through mono is unfounded. If you add pressure to any line say 15lbs of pressure to 20lb mono, then take another piece of 20lb mono with 15lbs of pressure to it, run 'em across each other and they'll probably break.

Just my .02

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nserch4Drum said:
I know for a fact,if braid don't cut mono,it'll slice a finger.
And look at my fingers after I tie knots an I can assure you that mono does too. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts