Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of knot would you recommend for tying braid to mono? I have been using a double uniknot for tying mono to mono with no problems at all. I've been thinking of changing to power pro for a while now and decided to change two of my reels to braid.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Getten ready for next weeks contest,you should beable cast futher with braided line then with mono. catman uses power pro and doesn't use a shock leader,I'v tried and it slips off(Albrite knot) I would try it out first with/without and see if you loose a rig!!!!!( dry land)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Anthony, I used 12# test mono backing on a reel I just put PP on and tied th doulbe uni. I used 8 turns on th PP an 5 on th mono. It held but thats th backing so I don't know whether it would handle casting or not.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I wasn't planning on doing this anytime soon. I was thinking about it but decided to keep what I have. I recently broke one of my conventional reels that I use for wreck fishing and was planning on buying a new one before I go again. Everyone raves about using braid for tog fishing since there is no stetch and you can feel every bite. I hear such great things about power pro and everytime I go to buy some, the price keeps stopping me. I will probably put it on a small reel that I use for throwing lures before investing my life savings on it. Thanks Cdog, I was planning on using a mono backing so that helps.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i like using the albright knot. some people don't use a shock leader on braided line. but, the theory is braided line doesn't have much give/stretch, so you need a shock leader to absorb some of the load when casting.....i guess if you generate alot of power, straight up braid w/out schock leader can break your rod tip....so i hear. I don't think i generate enough power to break my rod tip, but I use a shock leader anyway, plus if you need to handle your line when you get closer in, it's safer. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Just did the double-uni knot to put some Spider-stealth on two of my spinners and it seems to work fine. 20# stealth to 15# Ande backing and 30# stealth to 17# Ande ,both with 7 turn uni knots on both sides. I've only had the knot thru the guides on the 30# because it's that free 75yds. that was being given away earlier this year and I can actually cast that far, but no problems yet. Hope this helps with your future decision.

·
Registered
206 Posts
if you are using braid I would use a shock. Surfman and I tried this out after some peope saying they don't use a mono shock. Well he broke his line every other cast and it started to bury after a couple of breakoffs with the line getting loose. we both have been using the albright and I usually add a extra turn or two through the loop to lock the knot. it ties up pretty small and haven't had any issues with it breaking. plus the mono is nice when you are on the pier and pulling up those monsters you're always catch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been using this Knot and it hasnt failed me

http://www.stren.com/knot11.htm

A quote from there page

The Stren Knot also excels in the connection of thin diameter braids/superlines to varying sizes of nylon monofilament or fluorocarbon, provided that the “Uni” portion of the knot is tied in the mono or fluorocarbon. The resulting “Stren Knot” is exponentially stronger than the traditional “Uni-to-Uni” knot.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Anthony, Jason is right, I don't use shock leader with Power Pro. I do however use a snap swivel on the end of my braid and attach it with a double surgeons knot. This allows me to change rigs quickly or change to an artifical in a hurry. I've never lost a rig this way. If you remember the rods on my boat all had snap swivels on them. I use the same whether surf fishing, pier fishing, or fishing from the boat. KISS!

Catman.:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Catman--also use PP with double overhand knot--works well. Also double the line before tying the knot--should give you twice the knot/line life.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'm with Catman. Power Pro doesn't tie off to a shocker well. I just put it on with a Palomar.

I stick with super braids for plugging rods, but for the bigger applications I use mono. Otherwise it's a mess and not worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just started using PowerPro for jigging and eeling stripers. For jigging and eeling I use a short (5 ft.) leader of 60 lb Ande to the 30 lb. PowerPro. I joined them with the double Uni knot and no problems catching blues to 12 lb and bass to 25 lb so far. PowerPro comes with a knot guide included, just follow the directions and catch fish.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys. I will probably get a spool of 20 or 30 and a spool of 50. Does anyone know a good place to buy this stuff? The cheapest I have found it is BPS, 23.49 for 300 yards. Does anyone know if there is anywhere else cheaper?

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you're using braided line without a shock leader and say your hi-low rig was stuck, and I mean really stuck, how do you break the line? I always wondered about that since some use braided line up to 80#. Would the knot give before doing damage to your fishing rod/reel?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Anthony, I buy my Power Pro from Shark River . As a matter of fact if I'm not buying tackle at my local shop everything comes from Shark River. Their service is excellent and so are the prices. I haven't bought from BPS for at least 2 yrs.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
At IRI I was using braid and I used a 100lb test mono shock leader which was 5ft.The knot of choice for me was the Albright;Its easy to tie and it won't slip.Wrap the lighter line around the heavier line about 25X and it will work;) .

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I boat fish with fireline(cousin to powerpro) all the time with my spining rods.. For trout,and false albacore I use 12lb flouro to 4diameter fireline with a double uni,no problem,4 wraps on each side.. For sight casting drum,and cobes I use 8lb diameter with 80lb mono leader.. A bimini IMHO should be tied because of the unequal diameters. To that a double uni,albright,or no-name(with at least 6 wraps,making sure tag end is perpendicular) I've used all three knots with good success.. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts