Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of switching to braids .
Do I still need a mono shocker ?
I've heard braid will cut through mono and your fingers so I 'm gonna try breakaways casting cannon .
what kind of knots do you guys recommend ?

FISH(Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Use the palomar knot, double palomar, uni knot, albright, reverse albright, and offshore knot. Many people that fish for big game offshore use a mono leader but the people that I personally have seen using braid do not use a shock leader and I doubt the braid would break when casted. Use the casting cannon or gloves.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indio I was able to pull it up . Has your braided main line ever dug in and cut off your mono shocker where the 2 are joined?
Thanks gents

FISH (Finally in Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
272 Posts
i used spder wire for a while .had'nt been using it lately since i'm on this distance casting learning technique.i use same as the diagram except a couple extra turns on the main side (unit knot side). i have'nt had many break offs . if that does'nt work try the
uni to unit knot.

its at matter of preference and how one works on your setup .

good luck,

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I'm always using a uni to uni when the mono and braid are of simular diameters,such as spainish fishing with 6 diameter vs say 12 to 20 flouro.. When I use it to sight cast for cobes or drum and have 8 diameter I tie a bimini to the fireline and put two extra wraps in a no-name knot.. I'm sure and albright or uni would work just as well.. The mono shocker is there for a reason,at least for me,when I beach or boat a fish I usually leader the fish up with my bare hands,and fireline or any braid WILL CUT THE DEVIL OUT OF YA!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts