Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they allowed in competition? Do you think they are safe?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sandcrab,
Sorry I cant answer your question but I'm curious as to why you would want to use one in competition? Would the lower diameter really make any noticable difference over the standard daimeter as the leader is not that long in relation to the rest of the line you have out there? All I can say is you definatly would not use one in fishing as it would be impossible to grab the shocker to leader a large fish. I'll be curious to see your responces.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sandcrab,

They are not allowed because they are not considered safe.

They have nearly zero stretch, and are very prone to break if the ground is hit during a pendulum cast.

And besides, to be the minimum diameter of .75mm, who knows how much the breaking strenth would be, and and you imagine the damage that would be done to a mower is a breakoff occured and was not recovered?

Blaine :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plank and Blaine,

Glad to see braid is not allowed for casting competions. I too do not feel that the line is unsafe considering that it is made up of numerous fibers.

Lots of guys using it for shock leaders for fishing and I can not see why. Like you said - the shocker not only protects others but can be used to drag fish out of the surf or over the rail on the pier. But a shock leader out of braid? :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had concidered using one for fishing, for about a month last year I cept getting tail whiped bye sharks. I have also concidered using 50# shock with 5ft of wire to keep biteoff from happening. I and other plank mates lost alot of hardware to large sharks swallowing the hook and leader and bitting through the shock line. Any suggestions?
Bigblock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts