Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to longcasting. I have an 11' Okuma rod and a 6500C3 abu reel. The reall does not hold a lot of line. SO I was thinking of going to braid (Power Pro) I should be able to load about 300 yds of it no problem. (that much because I am sure to backlash and loose line.) What do you all think? Braid or Mono? I wills till keep a mono shock leader though, don't want the braid getting stuck within the spool from 5-6Oz of weight. Thanks for the input
- Surfman

·
Registered
206 Posts
SurfMan,

the braid was working well for you, just gotta keep that mono shock, Hopefully we can get some expert opinions so you can be spooled up to catch some monsters at OBX this weekend. I have the same question, so hopefully we can get put on the right tracck so when the fall run comes in we can be catch the big cows with everyone else.

ps. call the folks and they can let you in for your board. tightlines, peace and new ink.

later

·
Registered
127 Posts
My friend put a 300yard spool of 30lb power pro on his 6500, and i bet he could have fit another 75yards on it. Works good for casting lures like gotchas and other things.

·
Registered
258 Posts
SurfMan, I have a 6500 C3CT Mag and I have it spooled up with 15 lb Power Pro. One thing to remember is to first spool on enough mono to cover the spool and then place the braid on top. This prevents the braid from slipping on the spool. If you are casting lures I would recommend that you only use a short mono or florocarbon leader about 12 to 24 inches. If using heavy weight and bottom fishing then a shock leader of at least 50 lb test is fine. You will fine that the braid offers you the best bit detection that I've found. You will not need to set the hook on a bit as you would when using mono because of the near 0 streach of the braided line. That action will pull the hook right out even at long distances. Simply pick up the rod and tighten up the line and start reeling. Another advantage of braid is the increased casting distance that you will see but there is also a down side that you have already mentioned. Breakoffs and bird nest are somethings that we all experience when using braid but something that I've found that really helps is to make sure that when you are reeling in your line that you lay it evenly onto the spool. This is not a problem with a levelwind reel. Last but not least Practice Makes Perfect. Once you have the braid loaded onto your reel make sure that you start practing your cast with it. This will help you to get a feel for how much power you can put into your cast and get you reel tuned to perform with this new line. Start out with easy cast and gradually add more power and you will be amazed at the distance and have a better feel for how the line will perform with your equipment. Also, because of the smaller diamiter of the line you will be able to put more line onto your reel which may cause it to run faster. I've added the new dual ball bearing levelwind that Hatteras Outfitters offers and have notice improved performance with my 6500C3 which is also loaded with 20 lb. PP. I hope that this helps. Larry B

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the info... I love the Hatteras Outfitters site... Reel Candy but Reel expensive. I read about adding the mono first and then adding braid on top but was not sure of why. Again, thanks for all of the information.... most helpful.
- Surfman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts