Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"All Sportcast USA rules in effect; monofilament line only with a minimum line diameter of .28mm for the 125gm and .31mm for the 150gm. A monofiliment shockleader of hi-viz .75 mono is also required and will be available."

I have been following (with great interest) the fixed spool vs. rotating spool debates.

In most sporting endeavors, the rules are usually set to allow fair competition between contestants PLUS to allow the technological "pushing of the envelope". Hopefully, at a later time, this advanced technology "trickles" down to Mr. Joe Average.

The newer spinning reels with shallow, long spools, that are designed for braid, are at a disadvantage with the old paradigms. Why should someone be able to cast farther "fishing" than when they are in "competition"?

A separate casting division for braid?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I think that, like most sporting organizations, Sportcast is just slower to adjust to changing times.

For instance, the IFGA currently recognizes (with a few exceptions) only post-weighed fish for world record claims, which requires that the fish be killed. There is a proposition in the works to change this to a live-weight measurement, but it is taking a while.

Maybe soon Sportcast will have a separate casting category for braid.

Evan

·
Registered
831 Posts
The variables in tournament casting are many, but everyone uses the same weight and the same diameter line, those are the equalisers. If you were to use .28 braid or .31braid, you would be at a disadvantage to the same diameter mono. If you were to use a mono that equaled the diamater of 10 or 12 pound braid diameter you could outcast the braid.

It's more like golf, it would be easy to make a ball that would fly an additional hundred yards, but it would ruin the game.

As a note about your signature kingfiherman23, have you ever heard the phrase any press is good press. It is foolish to even recognize such an orginazation exists. You are giving them free advertising, I would do away with that nonsense, before some radical billionare idiot found a new cause to back. Of course that is just my opinion.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
I guess the best an most honest answer is that those are the rules. I know that rules can be changed but there has to be a standard diameter to maintain a level playing field..

I've heard of a few exteme events where guys could cast whatever they wanted. Amazingly the distance didn't really go up much.

Tommy

·
Registered
174 Posts
braid

First of all Hanginon your question is a good one.
No casting organization that I know of uses braided line.We try to keep Sportcast rules inline with rules used around the world. May sound outdated but it works.
My concern would be using braid with a conventional reel. Blowups could get very expensive. Casters would not want to cut expensive line off of the spool and we could be waiting a long time for someone to pick out a major blowup. Consider also the fact that you would have a hard time seeing it on the ground. It's difficult enough seeing HI-VIS mono. That could get interesting walking out to our weights.

I would like to see Mark Edwards or Rod Smith's opinion about this. They could probably make a better comparison since they both cast spinners for fishing and casting. If any Sportcast member want to bring this up we can discuss this during the opening meeting of any tournament.
Bob S

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
They do not allow braid because people like me would be able to catch up with kingfish and Tommy. Kingfish must be greasing some palms somewhere :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
First of all Hanginon your question is a good one.
No casting organization that I know of uses braided line.We try to keep Sportcast rules inline with rules used around the world. May sound outdated but it works.
My concern would be using braid with a conventional reel. Blowups could get very expensive. Casters would not want to cut expensive line off of the spool and we could be waiting a long time for someone to pick out a major blowup. Consider also the fact that you would have a hard time seeing it on the ground. It's difficult enough seeing HI-VIS mono. That could get interesting walking out to our weights.

I would like to see Mark Edwards or Rod Smith's opinion about this. They could probably make a better comparison since they both cast spinners for fishing and casting. If any Sportcast member want to bring this up we can discuss this during the opening meeting of any tournament.
Bob S
Bob,
I agree with you on your reasons. Another thing that you need to take into consideration is that if you have both mono and braid on the field, there is a good chance that when your reeling up that you could saw off someone. That could create problems.
What we may need to do is have two classes for people that want to cast braid . I sure don't want to take my Zziplex on a full pendulum cast and get a blacklash during the cast. Could be very dangerous for the caster(rod breakage).
My .02....
Gary

·
Registered
712 Posts
bob, personally i'b be fine with using braid but there a lot of things you have to consider first safety imagine 10 guys are walking downfield and i come along with my braid and start reeling we all know braid has no stretch so that braid can cut someone like a razor. then there is the small diameter and even if we were to use hi vis its still hard to see and just like mono what happens if or when someone breakes my braid? lets not forget the cost 300yds cost 30 dollars 2 years ago me and the boys were playing aound on the beach and i almost dumped a 300 yd spool casting a 6oz sinker on a pulley rig. then there's the shockleader debate i prefer mono and rod likes braid(and somehow we're still friends...) now which direction do we go with it? breakoffs? don't even get me started you guys have the tournament at i soon to be soccer complex and i used to practice at one and if you think peta is pita wait until you gety a gang of upset soccer moms breathing down your neck! like i said me personlly? i love braid!... for fishing small diameter, lack of stretch, and all the other assets but even then if me and the guy next to me are using braid and we get tangled neither one of us wants to cut there braid so now you have 2 stingy idiots out on the water trying to untangle 60 dollars worth of braid. to me mono still has a place on the field its bad enough we have these uniformed tree huggers crying about us fishing and hurting fish now you want to harm their tofu eating dogs?

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
If braid were allowed it would need to be in a "braid only" or "unlimited" event. Otherwise the braid, if allowed, would need to meet the minimum diameter established by SCUSA rules.

I can only imagine walking and winding out with a mix of braid and mono. Sometimes i have trouble seeing the high vis mono, I expect the very thin braids would be much worse. Lines could be cut and like Mark said the possiblity is there for a caster to get cut as well.

IMHO, stick with the mono and current line diameter rules.

Tommy

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
just cause the spinner cant cast as far as a multi on the field..
dont go whine about it. accept the fact. and move on. jeeez. =T

even IF you can use braids. multis will still cast it further on mono.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From a suppliers point of view (line)

It's hard enough now to keep up stocks of all the dia's used in tournaments here in the U.K.

Adding braid would not be a problem per sae but might lead to supply difficulties v.v. anywhere near accurate dia's and the measuring thereof.

The expense to the caster would very soon become an unbearable burden for all but the few with very deep pockets.

·
Registered
712 Posts
just cause the spinner cant cast as far as a multi on the field..
dont go whine about it. accept the fact. and move on. jeeez. =T

even IF you can use braids. multis will still cast it further on mono.
those sound like fightin words. lets go. i'll take that challenge whats the wager? i choose the conditions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
why not try an "unlimited class"?

it sure would settle this dispute.
Nothing wrong with adding a little spice to the casting mix:D. This way it's not just a spinners event, it's an everybody event :D and if it doesn't work out,hey it's still our fishing or competing gear, so no biggie:p .
Hey you know what this means.....another BBQ:D:beer: ..I mean another wonderful and enjoying competion where we all get to meet up again as casting buddies:):) :pBBQ:p
Don't tell me that you BIG... STRONG.. MULTI HERCULES:eek: are afraid of us little, itsy bitsy, spinning guys:p:p OOOHH my.. did I just open up a can of WHIP A $ $:D:D:D
Hey remember, Big Danny threw a spinner alot further then ALOT of you guys using multi:p:p
HOT DIGGGGGYY:D OMG!! Did I just throw in that plate of WHIP A $ $ along with the can:D OOHH I'm just serving a full meal here:p
Anyway all kidding aside, whats wrong with giving it a try. We are already following all the safety rules and playing it safe with everyone and doing a great job at it I must say. CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!
Do I dare throw in DESSERT,,,ah what the heck I'm already deep in it so here it goes... Now for you guys that cant see the line,,,,,WELLLL,,,,,I can rent a seeing eye dog for the day:eek::p:D LOL!!!!
When you guys see me, just be gently because I brusie easy:)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
"Imagine if he threw braid on an overloaded spinner with a strong tail wind."
might have results like this...........

(rustyhook}
My best cast spinning was during a seminar a few years back with a 30mph tail wind in very dry conditions and laid out a 906' cast. The reel was extremely overloaded and was set up just for the seminar but like I said braid opens up a whole new world.

that should shut up some conventional guys!:p

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Braid is used in Japanese casting tournamnets and I think the only way it could be incorporated here would be in an unlimited class where modified spools, super thin lines, smaller dia. shockers on small weights etc. could be used. If you can swing it -CAST IT! But of course the distances could not be evenly compared to the regular classes . . .

Yep. 758.40 feet with 150 grams on mono.
Imagine if he threw braid on an overloaded spinner with a strong tail wind.
Adding the 7% that braid has consistently added to my competition mono distance, would put Mark out at 811ft with FISHING EQUIPMENT.

Nobody has ever argued that spinners will overtake conventionals on the casting court --- but for fishing . . .

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
My opinion- braid is simply not practical for tournaments on grass. Sure with a very limited number of casters you might get away with it.

We sometimes have 20 or more casters each round. THat's a lot of line layin on the ground at the end of the round. Line gets blown around by crosswinds during the cast, and there is almost always crossed/tangled lines.

When the group goes out to reel up the lines, lines get stepped on and tangled around feet and ankles. If the field isn't exceptionally clean mown, weeds and stalks from the field contribute to line tangles. With braid this would be an absolute night mare. The last thing I want to do is untangle 3 or 4 crossed lines of braid, mono is a big enough pain.

The only practical solution might be to have a limted number of rounds dedicated for braid tossers, with a limited number of casters per round. Braid casters would have to have their own line restrictions-- and would only be competing against other braid tossers. This unfortunately decreases the number of casters per round and decreases the total number of casts allowed per tourny for each caster.

IF you haven't participated in a crowded tournament- then it might be hard to visualize the nightmare braid would bring to a tourny- I don't have to "try" it to envision the problems that would be encountered.

My .02

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.