Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

Can anyone recommend rod guides, specifically the tip that won't get damaged by braid? I have a starter rod that has stainless steel guides and I decided to try braid out of curiosity to see what the differences were for me. It seemed to cast good, and no real issues with blowing up, however it has created a groove in the guide at the rod tip. By itself not a huge issue, but went out today and was gonna try do some casting, setup threw the first cast and the line snapped, about 30 yards into the cast. So I tied the leader back on tried one more and this time my buddy was watching and the braid is getting cut by the groove it created in the guide.

I'm looking into getting a new rod soon, any issues with braid cutting through the guides on most rods? I can't imagine that with braid being so popular that the rod manf haven't designed guides that can handle the line.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a certain Fuji model, and where to get it, I'm trying to have it fixed this weekend to head up to SPSP. I have a conventional rod that I going to put it on. It's going to become my catfish/short pier rod in a few weeks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
No not a certain model but they are fuji coated guides. You might want to post this thread also in the distance casting forum. Those guys build there own rods and would probably know better.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've been using Fuji Hardloy guides the past few years with braid and had no problems. Started using the Fuji Alconites this year (step above the Hardloys) and so far they've been great too, very lightweight. If you want to spend more money, check out the Fuji SiC tip tops.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wtrdog,
Fuji makes a specific set of guides to be used with braided line. They are called Fuji LC Surf Guides (also called low riders). You can buy them as a set for $75.32 or individually for different prices. They also have the Fuji LC Surf Rod Tops. Same ring size but different tube sizes. The Japanese have been using them for a few years and they are now available in the U.S. from Mudhole Rod Building Supply. The website is www.mudhole.com. I have a set on a rod and they work pretty well. The interesting part is that the stripper guide is only size 20. Ryan White from Hatteras Jack told me about a video he saw where a high speed camera captures the line going through the guides and it is just amazing. I found it on a Japanese fishing website and thought it was the coolest thing. They are designed to be used with spinning reels and there is a specific guide placement chart from Fuji. The important thing is that the first guide be 120 cm from the reel no matter what the set up.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts