Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, used my spinning reel tonight for the first time. Loaded with 30lb braid and have been watching casting videos. Had 4oz and a whiting head on it. 11ft rod if it matters

Went to cast it and almost slit open the tip of my finger!!!

I’m all ears on the best way to remedy this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cast cannon, short learning curve and no more cuts. You can get the knockoffs on Ebay and they are good quality and 1/3rd the price. I cast 80lb braid and I don't ever worry about slicing my finger

·
Registered
449 Posts
hockey tape, leather finger guard sold in most tackle shops. Also, I have to agree with Rogue, use a mono shock leader.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, used my spinning reel tonight for the first time. Loaded with 30lb braid and have been watching casting videos. Had 4oz and a whiting head on it. 11ft rod if it matters

Thanks in advance.
MAKE SURE YOUR DRAG IS TIGHTENED ALL THE WAY DOWN WHEN CASTING BRAID. AS THE OTHERS SAID TIE ON A MONO SHOCK LEADER. A LOT OF GOOD REASONS

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn’t even think about the drag aspect. I generally leave it light so when I put it in the sand spike it doesn’t get pulled in.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Breakaway Casting Cannon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Waterproof band aid. If you are using 30lb braid, no reason for a shock leader. I use 50 and never had an issue without a shock leader chucking 8 and bait. My buddies also use braid with no shock leaders and no issues. Shock leader is just another thing that can fail and is not necessary with braided line. When casting, just make suer drag is tightened down, then loosen when you put it in your spike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Waterproof band aid. If you are using 30lb braid, no reason for a shock leader. I use 50 and never had an issue without a shock leader chucking 8 and bait. My buddies also use braid with no shock leaders and no issues. Shock leader is just another thing that can fail and is not necessary with braided line. When casting, just make suer drag is tightened down, then loosen when you put it in your spike.
I can’t imagine throwing 8n bait without a shock leader if anyone was anywhere near me on the beach.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts