Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tend to tie my plugs directly to my braid and was wondering what knots you recommend. also, sometimes if the blues are about, ill use a 50lb mono leader w/ a barrel swivel... what knot would be good for connecting the braid to the swivel?

sometimes when i use a uni, i can pull the knot out myself unless i loop it through 3 times before the twist. was just wondering if there was a better method as I lost a nice lure this past weekend due to the knot coming out. never had this problem with mono or floro.

also, what are your thoughts on using a snap for easy lure changing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use a Palomar knot when I tie braid (PP) to terminal tackle. I wouldn't trust any other knot with braid. My setup is braid -> swivel -> 4-5 feet of mono -> plug.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I forgot to say that I generally don't use snaps. I tie to the "belly" of the split ring on swimming plugs, and directly to the plug eye in the case of poppers and jigs. Snaps (black color) are probably ok for swimming plugs, as long as they're not too big. For topwater plugs it probably doesn't matter at all. I wouldn't use snaps with jigs though.

A uni knot is my favorite knot to tie mono. It's extremely easy to tie and it doesn't pull. I use maybe 5-6 turns with #20 mono and 3-4 turns with heavier mono.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
My plugging rod, which is strung with 20# Power Pro, has a small snap swivel tied on with a Palomar. Other knots tend to slip with the stuff.

My plugs all have about a foot of 30# flourocarbon tied on with a Homer Rhode Loop Knot to let them work freely. The other end is a double surgeon's loop so I can snap lures on and off quickly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
USE DOUBLE OVERHAND OR SURGEONS KNOT FOR BRAID-NEVER ANY PROBLEMS.

Can also double the line before tying. Have had no problems with knots coming untied, even with Teflon coated braid.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just remember that all knots with braid need more twists than mono...

For big stripers I use a 40# shocker, bimini/no name to connect to 30# Power Pro. The bimini is a snap, the no-name needs about 8 wraps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts