Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BPS has a reel that has been mispriced on their website. The reel is the ABU Garcia Big Game 7000 series (new reels replacing the old Big Game reels). They list them for $119. Everyone else - Cabelas, HO, list them for $154! You save $35 bucks.

I think they meant to list the OLD Big Game reels for that price and somehow ended mispricing the NEW Big Game reels.

Come and get it!

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=53026&hvarDept=151&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are not BG reels...

These are 7000 series reels - the other reels are discontinued - these are not....they are the replacement for the old BG reels...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Im reading outta my flyer I got a couple of weeks ago...."Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Big Game Series reels "...$109.99........with a picture of the 7000,but it says series which I would interpret as up to the 10000 .....I PUT THIS ON THE BOARD 2 WEEKS AGO.....the R

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
chest2head&glassy said:
I was just in the Hampton store and their instore sales ad had the 7000 for either 109 or 119.
How much stuff did ya walk out with. I haven't been able to make it outta there with less than $120 spent so far. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah,they had them on sale for $109.99 but the sale is now over;Feb 1-28 is new sale I think them reels are $119.99 now.Oh well I didnt save money but its only a $10 difference;big deal:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Happy...$119 still a good price.....which one did ya ge??...the Rt

W

·
0 Posts
Hey Gang,
A word of warning on the abu/amb 7000's (and/or possibly others too)

I did a double take on a couple of prices here and there over the last 6 months on 7000's. Here's what I discovered;

The cheapest 7000's were NOT equipped with ball bearings.
They had BUSHINGS instead, meaning the life of such a reel - and its S-M-O-O-T-H performance will be short lived after a few lunkers or hang-ups. Remember how the old Penns sounded after a few fishin' trips ?
Don't want such a g-r-i-n-d-i-n-g feel or sound on an abu/amb
of any kind. But I haven't noticed the bushings versus bearings yet on any of the 6500's or 5500's. But its definately something to look for.
Too, don't know why the company did this - unless to give a mid-sized popular reel for a lesser price for those whom may not use it much ?
And I'm sure most of us know that ambassaduers are now owned by another company - where the swedish folks still make em'.....but they're adding cheapo' models in with the better reels
or so it seems.
Can anyone confirm ?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I agre that Penns mess up but Ive never had that happen to an Abu Garcia levelwind.As long as you spray them down with WD 40 or somthing similiar it should work just fine;but truthfully all equipment wears out within a 2yr period or more.Nothing lasts forever but if you take care of them they might last longer;maybe even for life if your lucky.;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I dont know ,BigJeff, but Im pretty tuff on stuff and my Penns and Daiwas are holdin' up a lot longer than two years( a whole lot longer).....the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I have a Penn 500L that I purchased in 1974 that I rebuilt once(25 bucks for reels and 20 or son in parts). Still works fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I'm with Digger and "R" here..

IMHO,ABU left thier technology with casting,not fishing.. Diawa and Penn picked that up with smoother drags,longer lasting,and quicker retrieve reels,that cast pretty well too.. I've had sloosh,shv,and grandwave Diawas since they first came out,all still working fine. Did I mention had to put new drags in the first ones I got after 6 yr?? :D Looking into the Penn 525 mags now,thinking of getting one of those as well,from what I hear,they are as "bulletproof" as the Diawa's.. ;)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Agree

only had my slosh's fer 3 yrs now but no worries.ABU needs a good cleaning after every trip but at least I can do that now.;) Looks like th 525 is gonna need a good cleaning too. Hopefully I can put it back together too....:eek:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've got to tell you, "There are no flys on Penn reels". I just caught a citation Flounder on a Penn 180 that I've been using sinse 1952. I do take care of them and when the new Penn super drags came out I put them in all of my Penn conventionals. I've caught very large Albacore on #200's, I've caught 40 lb.+ Red Drum on #350 and #500's, 30 or more Stripers a night on the small Penn spinner, three 19 1/2 Blues on back to back casts using a larger #706Z (the one with a roller but no bail). I've spent some years fishing four or more times a week and the Penns have never failed. I use a 980 and a 525mag that you can cast "thumbs off". It's my opinion that; Penns are the best buy for the money. Now if "money is no object" "that's a different kind of game you're playing".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts