Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
best and safest way is going to be shipping them in a PVC tube.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
at that length and number of rods, you'd best check with the post office or whomever you're planning on using as to any size restrictions... they usually use a combination of length and diameter...

if you do use pvc tubing, get a solid end cap for the one end, and a screw cap for the other end... make sure you put sufficent padding in the solid end before glueing it on... with the screw cap you can reuse the tube anytime you need for rods up to 14' {2piece} in length... make sure you insure any contents...

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
USPS restriction are not to exceed 110 inches total using length + girth formula. On a 4" tube the girth runs just under 14".

They also use the length + width + height formula for shipping to some zones. On a 4" tube this would amount to length + 4" + 4".

It really helps if you show up with this info sharpied onto the tube. Saves time for the clerk to measure.

Newspaper wrapped around the guides, tip and butt serves as a good cheap packing material.

Hope this helps,

Tommy

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Swing by a tackle shop, Dick's, BPS, etc and ask them for the cardboard tubes that rods are shipped to them in. Usually they will give them to you since they just get thrown away or recycled.

·
Registered
90 Posts
shipping

just received replacement blank from lamiglas
used pvc with 2" foam wrapped around guides, with rubber bands
usps may only allow certain dimn on diff classes of mail
had seeker 12' rod shipped from fl 8'6" tube po wouldnt take
might be better off with ups or fedex
my 02
thanx paul
:fishing:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
For shipping tubes for multiple finished rods I go to a nearby carpet outlet. They have very sturdy cardboard tubes that have diameters from 5 to 8 inches. They are heavy but it really doesn't matter because you are paying for dimensional weight anyway.

I used to use DHL, they were the cheapest around for long stuff; they would take up to 165 inches. Not sure what their status is now.

Try

Rate quote

drop off centers

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
go to Home Depot and see if they have any boxes that some hardwood flooring boxes, they are long and easily taped shut.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm with the Sgt, I hit the carpet stores for tubes, I can ship 6spikes in one of the 8" tubes you aught to be able to fit all 7 rods in there. The carpet places around here give them away.I shipped a rod the other day to CA the tube was 7'6" cost was $27 at Goin Postal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.