Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sweet! Yeah "saved more than I paid" sounds like the deal,and you know women can't pass up a sale at more than 50% off. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Husky,

That is one sweeeet setup for your $$. I have the 12 ft Tica and love it. My bro-n-law is only comfortable with a 9 ft and below rig. He would do well with what you found. Congrats!

Macman

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Husky,

Sweet rod! Perfect for jetty fishing at IRI! Why don't you let me hold it and I'll let you use it when I meet you fishing? ;)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That went well. Wife was like "good buy". So, who wants to help me match it with a reel?

I think the a good bet would be an Daiwa Emblem. I need some suggestions on less expensive reels too. Are okuma or tica reels decent? Who has good things to say about Okuma? Which okuma?

Sandcrab, I was thinking IRI and pier fishing when I got it. I went looking for a 10 or 11' rod, but I saw that rod with only 6 minutes left and a low price--I couldn't turn it down!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
SOOO you went spinner on me - Eh? ;) Looks like the perfect jetty and pier rod. Handles enough to work as a surf rod for casting metal to blues and poppers to stripers.

I know the Penn Slammers and the Mitchell Nautil reels (waterproof reels) run a couple of bucks too. Good luck in your search for a quality made reel under $100. The last spinner I bought was a Mitchell 498 Pro surf reel way back when...

Lyndonsmommy? :eek: I thought you would at least have a fishing-type bidding name.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got bad feedback from some punk once and since then I just use my wife's ebay name.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Sure!! ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Husky,

I have owned one Okuma spinner that I purchased off eBay, but I wasn't impressed, way to tight. I don't remember what the model number was, but I do remember that it was pretty cheap, so don't judge all Okuma's from my experience.

I would like too suggest Pinnacle reels, I have two that I have had for @ 4 yrs. without a minutes problem. The small one is a LF40 that I picked up on a combo for $50 (used mainly for Gotcha's) and the larger one is a ABF70 that I got of eBay for $35 (used for king anchor and surfcasting). They're both real smooth and well balanced.

Oh well there's my $.02 worth. Good luck and let me know how the Tica works out as I've been looking at them myself. ;)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Husky,

Great buy! That rod retails for 90 bucks, you got the UEHA model too!

I say stick a Daiwa Emblem, Shimano Stradic or Okuma EB50 Baitrunner on there for live lining...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello Guys...

In 2 seperate ebay auctions i got a 12ft ugly stik. The first auction i paid 24.50 and the second auction i paid 44.00. I would say i made out like a thief in the night at those prices. Just thought i would share that with you guys.

MC :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Husky,

I now have several of the Jarvis Walker reels that I have gotten off Ebay. I have a 700s, 600s and 2 500s'. They are part of the Penn family and have been great reels so far. Smooth reeling and good smooth drags.

My 2cents worth.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have fished with the Jarvis Walker, but never owned one. If I get one of those, I'll probably just email Jamestackle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MasterCaster,
Want another 12' ugly stick? I'll sell you a 12' casting ugly stick. It's used, but always washed off afterwards. Works great--like new.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know how much longer your going to see these deals on Tica fishing items. They are cutting down on part time sellers...ebay only. They gave my friend a hard time when he contacted them about selling their products online. Oddly, when he contacted them he had the hardest time understanding what they were saying they spoke terrible english.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the rod came yesterday. Only the wife didn't mention anything to me. She called me at work today and said "oh, a large box came for you uesterday. Must have been a fishing pole".

I guess she got me back for not telling her until after I bought it.

I can't wait to see it. I wonder if I should tell her I just bought a Fin Nor reel over ebay? Should I tell her I still need a smaller rod for it? Hmm...I know, honesty..

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Okuma you get more bang for your bucks! I haven't yet read a bad review on their reels.

I forgot to tell you that I have AV65 which you saw on my Tica 11', and EB65 (baitrunner) Shorebird is talking about. Can't wait to use EB65 in the fall for some live lining.

Here's the pic of EB series known as Epixor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts