Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bokeelia bridge, Pine Island(stringfellow) 12/9

2:30pm - 5:30pm

With weather back up in the low 70's...I decided to scout. Lightly armed, I arrived to find no one. Decided to give it a shot.

Started with a D.O.A. shrimp...couple of bumps.
Switched to a spoon...landed a 10" snapper and lost a battle to a snook. Watched a couple chase it...but no takers.
Switched to a popper..resulted in a 16" and 20" snook..landed!! Had a number of hits on the popper...but only two sets.

Funny incident...in my haste to get a long cast..I made the mistake of reaching back too far...hooking my other rod:rolleyes: I was already at midpoint in my cast before I realized and stopped...just in time to watch my other rod fly over the seawall. Thinking quick..I slapped my lure near the rod and snagged the handle...very delicately bringing it it. Glad no one was there to see that one!!;)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Wow that story sounds awfully familiar. A certain someone knows what I am talking about, too bad he's recovering from surgery or he'd be able to talk about it.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Jighead,

Nice catch ! Good to see your warming the line siders up for us such that maybe I'll actually land my first one this New Years :eek:

Did you throw any Yozuri's or live shrimp at'em ? Or did you stop pressing your luck after retrieving your rod and head back to the house :p I'm just jealous because a time similar it happen to me and I wasn't as lucky on the retrieve :(

And ya had it all to yourself there today and caught fish - sweet deal :D

Glad ya got out and had a good day. I slipped out this afternoon, ho'd my way onto Capt. Scott's boat and caught some schoolie Rockfish on plain metal Stingsilvers @ CBBT. Feels like I'm cheatin' by having to get on a boat to catch fish, but after the stinkin' M.O.S. mullet didn't come through the last two nights, I had to pull out all stops :rolleyes:

THX for the report,

`bucket

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Bucket,

No live shrimp. Trip started as a scouting for a fishing report...being as no one was there...I had to make one myself.;)

I arrived at low tide and worked the incoming(forgot to check the tide report). Did try throwing the yo-zuri....at the end of the bite. Had a few light bumps...but water was still too shallow(dug-up alot of weeds).

These type of "spur-of-the-moment" trips were the main reason for picking up that 7' two piece!! Good way to break it in!:D

On the rod toss...happened before the 20" snook. To make that story funner...I yanked the snook up on the seawall and immediately tangled it in my other line...tried untangling the two Power Pro's...had to cut and retie everything.

With the bite coming to an end...and a big knot in my line...I decided to call it a day.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony,

Yep, worst part is the "come home..tear down...clean...and relube"...especially if you just did it. Of course thats the reel that doesn't like to come apart:rolleyes: .(sniff,sniff...do you smell WD-40?)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Come on Jighead , Lines only in the water . No rods .:p
Glad to see your out scouting again . Thanks for the report from over your way .
PS I Smell the WD all the way over here on the east coast .:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Justin,

Sorry about that. Bucket PM'ed me about that...but I forgot to edit. Bokeelia is on the north end of PineIsland in Lee county.(southwest fl.) Crossing over it looks like a canal...but its actually a natural pass.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Gonna be a bit chilly in the AM . I think I will wait till lunch time to head out . This AM was windy as all hell .
Good Luck Scouting Jighead :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts