Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to Bogue Inlet Pier for another Saturday morning pier fishing session. Took my 11-year old daughter along. As I suspected would be the case, the pier was full when we got there (6:30 a.m.) with every bench on the left side taken up. However, since I knew it was low tide we just set up on the first empty bench at the edge of the beach/shallow water. Then we fished off the right side until the water caught up with us and we were back in business on the left. The air was chilly and the wind was strong.
I saw no sign of a spot run, or of the big spots I had seen on the pier a few weeks ago. I did see lots of pompano, mostly mid-size or smaller, and a lot of black drum. The drum were small as well, though there were plenty of them. For a time there was a string of black drum brought up ‘two at a time’ like spot. There were also many double-headers of pompano. There were just a couple of the big pompano that have been seen so much this fall. There were also some small whiting, but I saw almost no one even fishing for flounder. A few small spots, but not many and no runs.
As for us, due to the fact that we were in the shallows all morning we caught a lot of pompano. I was using a pompano rig with two gold wide-gap hooks and they certainly seemed to like it. We threw back many, but kept about 25 for eating. Of the black drum we only kept three.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts