Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I getting ready to put my 19ftr out on th water im checking to see what general items should put on there to be up with th codes im not a captain so a few ideas would be helpful :cool: RC

·
Registered
6 Posts
RC, The required items are life vests for all passengers, throw cushion or life ring, fire extinguisher(marine type), flares, and horn either as part of the boat or portable. I always carry a whistle attached to my life jacket in case of falling overboard. Hope that is what you were looking for, FSH

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot thats info i needed u said portable horn u mean in a can?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THAT motor best not take a crap i just dropped a chunk a change on it / anyway im gon take out 8hrspwr as a just in case :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all th info i dont have to much to worry about now gon to th marine shop later :D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Don't forget that there is a new Coast Guard reg that states that all children under 13 years old wear a Coast Guard approved life jacket, that fits, when underway on a recreational vessel: unless they are in an enclosed cabin or below decks.

Don't forget that your flares have an expiration date. Expired flares equals a ticket. Besides that really old ones do not work when you need them to.

Oh and if your trailer has brakes it needs to be inspected.

Tom

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey TOM P ill be heading down your way next week ya got any other boat ramps besides the one on th turn around . :D RC

·
Registered
862 Posts
You looking to launch or fish from shore?

There are boat ramps to launch at, that are much better than the end of my street, at the end of Tidemill Road (Turn North on Big Bethel Rd off of Victory Blvd Tidemill Rd is just after Tabb High School), At the end of Messick Rd. (Victory Blvd turns into Little Florida Rd which turns into Poquoson Ave. Turn left on Messick Rd., boat ramp near the end) Rens Rd (harder to find) at Bubba's Marina ($5) or next to the end of the boat house on the right (free but not as nice), End of Cedar Rd. (Turn Right off of Little Florida Rd, somebody who posts here fishes at this one from the shore.)

I use Tidemill Rd (actually called Smith Pt. landing) or Messick if I am launching close to home any where near low tide. The boat ramp at the end of my street has less than a foot of water at low tide out about 100 yards.

Tom

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey tom i know what ya mean i put my jon boat in there a couple of times and its real shallow but tha fishing is fantastic straight out on that drop off :) . RC

·
Registered
164 Posts
MUST have a radio on board. Though not on the list of required items, no radio mean you cannot hail for help, or get weather weather reports! A cell phone won't cut it - coverage is not uniform throughout the Bay with many dead spots.

A chart of the coastal area is a MUST have. Capt Segull makes some nice charts with wrecks and fishing areas marked. Nothing is more frustrating than to not know where a particular spot is, ie. Cabbage Patch, Latimer Shoals, 4A Lumps, etc. A chart will really help here. A chart will also give you rough bearings to the various points should you need to make a run for it due to weather.

Lou

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you have old flares dont throw them out carry them and of course at least the required amount of in date ones also. unless the flare has been soaking unopened in water for a while most old ones will light

1 - 15 of 15 Posts