Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard the Blues start to come in to spsp soon and i was wondering how once you landed a blue how would u handle getting the hook out with all those sharp teeth without really damaging the fish or my fingers??

:rolleyes:

Striker

·
Registered
597 Posts
People have posted they have caught blues already at SP. When I catch one I would use a long needlenose and a rag or glove to hold onto the fish.

Using circle hooks as well should hook them in the lip or mouth area so you won't have to dig for the hook.

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks red dog ,

the information helped me alot as well. its pretty obvious now that i think about it :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wimps

You wimps......

Just stick you finger in their mouth and bite your tongue.

Speaking from experience, the pain doesn't last long and the fish will eventually let go.

Best way I know to C&R a blue.

Disclaimer - this method does not work for blues over 3 lbs...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
LOL @ Skeeter :barf:

Dude if you want to risk loosing a finger, you keep stick'n your fingers down the gullet of those 1-2lbr's. Let me know when you bring back a nub...

A pair of long nose pliers always does the trick. No chances or pains to suffer the next day. Except for the fish if it swallowed the J-hook, or was a keeper (to the smoker ya go). LOL

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
my father inlaw got bit by one of those small blues... he was bleeding pretty bad... I would not recommend sticking your finger inside one, unless you enjoy that kind of stuff... :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Them blues are crazy fishes. I caught a 9"er on a 7/0 circle hook. The hook went in the mouth and out the top of the head. Grip them with a glove and use pliers. If you want to donate blood, go to a blood drive. No sense in losing blood or a finger unhooking them. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I hade blues cut threw steel leader off romancoke last oct. Man those blues were runing4 to 7 lbs taylors. I was using whole spots.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Blues up to 18" - 20" I just grab them from the top around the gill area and press in my thumb and forefinger just behind the gills and remove the hook with pliers. Larger bules I hold the leader in one hand a grab the hook with pliers and flip them into the cooler. I've been bitten a couple of times on the fingers, once requiring 17 stitches. It's easy to get careless when you're bringing them in one after another. Never go blue fishing with out some kind of first aid kit.

Catman.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blues are great and there are a lot of good stories about them!

We used to ge "slammer blues" around 30" and up at the Bay Bridge trolling red sugical hose on top with a small inline sinker from my sailboat- two or three rods at a time.

Off Daytona Beach a few years ago there was a life guard who whistled swimmers out of the water. One guy refused to come in cause it wasn't a shark- only bluefish. When the fishies finished with him he was ambulanced out and took over 115 stitches.

On Long Beach Island, NJ 20 years ago in August we were catching blues with hopkins lures from the beach - every cast
was a fish caught. The alarm was sounded to surf fishermen: "The blues are in!!!" and they were - in a huge school moving down the beach north to south within casting range under a flock of seabirds diving for scraps. Wow!

Ocean blues of 36-42" caught offshore of Ocean City last summer were taken on cedar plugs and just about anything else astern of our boat.

Blues school in the vicinity of Rock and often have schools of trout under them. What a blast!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yeah I have heard stories of people getting tore up from schools of blues at Daytona before. They run in LARGE schools down there and when they come in every shore fisherman knows. I bet there are many more stories. Anybody else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where are the blues at?

A friend and I are going out Sunday morning towards Annapolis / Kent Island. We will be without boat, any suggestions of where to go?:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts