Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed one puppy drum is not enough, but one puppy drum 3 bluefish and some sea mullet certainly is... the problem is the mentality of taking as much as u can as opposed to taking as much as u need. We are raping nature and not coexisting with it. Imagine an ocean without human interference... if more regulations on fish harvest happen the commercial guys will eventually receive more money for their catch and rec/charter guys will see more fish and more trophy sized fish. Would a charter client rather catch and release a trophy sized fish or scrap a couple of small fish that he can keep? I bet they would opt for the catch and release trophy. The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
"Agreed one puppy drum is not enough, but one puppy drum 3 bluefish and some sea mullet certainly is..."

It don't always work that way.. Usually you find drum,or you find seamullet,or you find a bunch of blluefish,sometimes mixed with spanish.. If they (cca along with an enviro group) had their way with this "let them grow" bill,I doubt you would have had many sea mullet to add to that equation,unless there were some really NICE ONES to be caught.. Also striped mullet would have been a major problem for bait.. There are places in Europe that only allow one caught fish,no catch and release,if caught fishing after one is caught,you get fined.. That is NOT what I want.. I like to harvest once and a while,I do not freeze fish.. My son and I are the only ones eating,so I take what is necessary to feed the two of us and the rest go back.. I've taken out parties for triggers as well as seabass and have limited them on what numbers they keep,and go on to another species if possible.. When I take folks out we go by limits or catch and release.. As bad as I want more than one puppy drum that is all I keep.. That is not enough to feed my son and I usually try to catch some seamullet or bluefish to supplement.. That doesn't always happen,so it's off to the seafood market for some shrimp.. Com fishing is a rough life,no doubt,and yes they will have to adapt,although everyone that eats seafood or uses it for bait would have a problem if there is none to be had unless you fished with hook and line and provided your own.. With some of the regs they have and are trying to implement now,that will be a struggle..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.
It takes more than fishing skill to be a fishing guide. Come on now.

Then again it might make a fair reality show, pairing a random com with a googan for a day on the water. Bonus if googan has to tie his own knots while using com's tackle.

Some folks are prone to oversimplied, glorious solutions, and reality gets drowned out in resultant unicorn feces. That makes it impossible to find the balance needed to keep everything moving smoothly along.

Then again maybe we should invest in re-training schools where coal miners and commercial fishermen can learn to program. Boom, problem solved.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The menhaden in Chesapeake Bay are being “harvested” without regard to the biomass which lives
on them and used for pet food. But guess what happens to the striper population when there is no
regard for that biomass of menhaden. Less rockfish. The analogy is to the market hunters of old
shooting passenger pigeons to extinction. The competing interests must be balanced in deference
to the population being decimated. And commercial fishermen have the most impact because of the numbers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.
It takes more than fishing skill to be a fishing guide. Come on now.

Then again it might make a fair reality show, pairing a random com with a googan for a day on the water. Bonus if googan has to tie his own knots while using com's tackle.

Some folks are prone to oversimplied, glorious solutions, and reality gets drowned out in resultant unicorn feces. That makes it impossible to find the balance needed to keep everything moving smoothly along.

Then again maybe we should invest in re-training schools where coal miners and commercial fishermen can learn to program. Boom, problem solved.
I totally agree that would be a great reality show. . I was more thinking of future generations of watermen. A change has to happen. Each year we get better at catching more and more fish commercially and recreationally. Also, I have worked as a commercial fisherman and know exactly the struggles that come with that profession.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The menhaden in Chesapeake Bay are being “harvested” without regard to the biomass which lives
on them and used for pet food. But guess what happens to the striper population when there is no
regard for that biomass of menhaden. Less rockfish. The analogy is to the market hunters of old
shooting passenger pigeons to extinction. The competing interests must be balanced in deference
to the population being decimated. And commercial fishermen have the most impact because of the numbers.
I've never ridden on a pigeon, is it a one seater or two?

Looks like the menhaden is going to be turned over to vmrc from the general assembly, following a moratorium. I'd expect some big changes coming soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3 is plenty to feed most families a meal. I dont get why u need any more than that. Catch and release bluefish. Fishing does not have to be about killing. The kill kill kill mentality has to change. It never will commercially, but recreationally, there is hope. If you have to show off your catch take a damn picture.
Kill, Kill; Kill; That's the ticket !

Jeep Girl

B

·
0 Posts
Agreed one puppy drum is not enough, but one puppy drum 3 bluefish and some sea mullet certainly is... the problem is the mentality of taking as much as u can as opposed to taking as much as u need. We are raping nature and not coexisting with it. Imagine an ocean without human interference... if more regulations on fish harvest happen the commercial guys will eventually receive more money for their catch and rec/charter guys will see more fish and more trophy sized fish. Would a charter client rather catch and release a trophy sized fish or scrap a couple of small fish that he can keep? I bet they would opt for the catch and release trophy. The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.
I agree. Too much take in many circumstances. I don't like seeing so much bycatch but I realize that if there wasn't a demand they wouldn't be out there. I work in a controversial field every day extracting oil and natural gas via hydraulic fracturing. People actually hate workers in my field because of a whole lot of misunderstanding. But, they'd see oilfield workers even as much as die if it were up to them. I simply point to their gasoline powered car and tell them that if y'all didn't create a demand nobody would be doing it. We need to come together and help each other. Commercial and recs alike. We share a resource and we both depend on it for work and leisure. Let's learn how to share. Learn how to take less. If people at Capt George's only ate two plates of fish instead of 3 or cut down on how much shrimp they ate or oysters etc imagine how much less those guys would be fishing. We create the demand, not them. They are just out there getting what we want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know this is a hot issue and that the regs have been a source of heated arguments for years. However I don't know enough about commercial fishing, shrimping, numbers, or any of the stuff to make an argument.

I do know that recreational flounder regs, blues regs, etc don't really make sense without enforcement. Is it just me, or is there practically no license or limit checking of recreational coastal anglers? I've surf fished for 30 years, from Crystal Coast to Carolla and not once been checked by an officer or seen one checking. I've done a ton of pier fishing too at Kure. Do they only check selective spots at certain times? I've seen on the KB FB page on occasion that they were checking coolers but I've never seen them. I've only been to the point a few times, I'm mostly at Davis, Wrightsville, and Ft. Fisher last 15 years.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I know this is a hot issue and that the regs have been a source of heated arguments for years. However I don't know enough about commercial fishing, shrimping, numbers, or any of the stuff to make an argument.

I do know that recreational flounder regs, blues regs, etc don't really make sense without enforcement. Is it just me, or is there practically no license or limit checking of recreational coastal anglers? I've surf fished for 30 years, from Crystal Coast to Carolla and not once been checked by an officer or seen one checking. I've done a ton of pier fishing too at Kure. Do they only check selective spots at certain times? I've seen on the KB FB page on occasion that they were checking coolers but I've never seen them. I've only been to the point a few times, I'm mostly at Davis, Wrightsville, and Ft. Fisher last 15 years.
There isn't that many of them compared to the amount of anglers.. I have been checked a few times.. They do come and check piers,but it is just to check coolers,because piers have a blanket license so no need to check your fishing license on a pier..

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Wrightsville enforcement is a joke, beach officer doesn't know the difference in a Spanish and a juvenile king. Most DNR officers are way over stretched in terms of what they have to do.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts