Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just like the flounder and other fish. We pay the price while the commercial fishery’s rape the hell out of the ocean. Last October when I wasn’t allowed to keep flounder I seen several small boats in the back bays stringing nets across the entire channel. Commercial flounder netting they said. Well that’s nice. Rape away while we pay the price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gone will be the days of bluefish stacked on the piers. I like throwing them over my shoulder then loading the cooler up.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just like the flounder and other fish. We pay the price while the commercial fishery’s rape the hell out of the ocean. Last October when I wasn’t allowed to keep flounder I seen several small boats in the back bays stringing nets across the entire channel. Commercial flounder netting they said. Well that’s nice. Rape away while we pay the price.
Exactly what price are you paying? If you are a recreational angler as are most on this site you fish for fun. You can not wait a few years to let the species rebound?

If you are a commercial fishermen you fish for a living in some cases and in others a way to supplement a living to be able to live near the Ocean and Sounds.

If you are a recreational fisherman who fishes Hatteras for Drum, then it would seem like you depend on the commercial fishermen to fill up the bait coolers at the tackle shops.

If you praise having fresh mullet and fatback on one hand and condemn the same exact fisherman for being allowed to take flounder when it is permitted, does that make you a hypocrite or does it just make you self centered?

There are perhaps less than 100 in total commercial fishermen who live on Hatteras. Perhaps a 100 more that participate in the Shrimp and Winter Trawl fishery out of Wanchese and Englehard and perhaps 50-60 who longline.

As I recollect 2.5 Million people come each year to Cape Hatteras National Seashore, so which side likely has contributed more to loss of water habitat like Eel grass decimation due to decreased water clarity and and E-Coli contamination of both the Ocean Front and the Sounds? The 260 Commercials or the 2.5Mil Tourists?

When I was a kid in the 1960's I could stand in water chest deep at the Wright Memorial Bridge clear enough see my feet whilst I wiggled my toes to locate the abundant clams, the Eel Grass covered the flats.

50 years later the water under the Wright Memorial Bridge has more of the characteristics of a septic tank both in color and bacteria counts.

Did the 260 Hatteras Commercials ruin the water, or was it the offal of millions of swine raised upstream, and byproduct of millions of humans wanting to live in the Piedmont?

At the moment I live 100's of miles away from the Ocean, in my freezer are vacuum sealed Mahi Mahi and Ahi steaks, caught offshore somewhere along the Gulf Stream by young men taking risks that most recs would not find acceptable for their Son's and Daughters.

At one time the Rodanthe Midgetts let me fish with them, and I am forever grateful for the experience and am more than willing to speak up for their interests.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You have no idea the impact of commercial fishing versus recreational fishing. Also I've never heard of a single commercial fishery do anything to give back to the fishery it's 100% take for them. At least 5% of recs participate in some form of helping the fishery. How does someone deserve more right to a natural resource then someone else just because they sell it? Especially if that resourcea is in need of recovery. If their still allowed to decimate the fishery it won't recover and then limits will be zero and the fishery will only be good in stories of the past. There are plenty of other ways to make money, and there is no way you can convince me that is the only way for them to make a living. Agricultural and developmental impacts are a hole other story and argument.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
40inch reds, I'd suggest you do some research. Shrimpers are a huge issue, not as much in the OBX as SENC. As well as "recreational" filling 5 gallon buckets with whatever they catch. See alot more of that than responsible catch and release. Don't see alot of commercial guys going specifically for blues, in again sweeps the recreational crowd. Its a multi part issue, but by pulling the card you are you show ignorance and lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you praise having fresh mullet and fatback on one hand and condemn the same exact fisherman for being allowed to take flounder when it is permitted, does that make you a hypocrite or does it just make you self centered?
I catch my own bait. I don’t need to buy it. And the negative decline on flounders isn’t because of recreational fisherman it’s due to commercial. Anyone knows that. I mean stopping recreational fisherman from being able to keep flounder and blues but at the same time allowing commercial raping and decimating of the same species is stupid.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First your thinking small scale commercial fishing like hook and line. Net boats like shrimp trawlers and the menhaden boats do the big damage. I've been on shrimp boats and have seen the by-catch my self. If the damage has been done and it needs to recover it makes no sense that this guy can keep more then the other because he's a charter or commercial. There are plenty of other fish to target. It's the guys that are professionals that are good at what they do that catch the most fish and then add in they are put there like everyday and multiple trips per day. Now I'm sure you heard the saying that 90% of the fish get caught by 10% of fishers, that 10% isn't the guy with a bucket. Most rec guys don't fill the "bucket" full like you and your locals do. You show your ignorance by thinking this is just a NC thing, they hit most of the east coast with the same limit. In other areas the blue fish commercial and charter business is pretty strong.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
" In other areas the blue fish commercial and charter business is pretty strong." Same here.. As a matter of fact,the bluefish here, is the backbone of the inshore charter.. There are many reg com vs rec I'm not in agreement with,this is one that could have been thrown in the dumpster as far as most are concerned.. You can argue till you are blue in the face about com vs rec.. It is what cca and many other anti fishing groups THRIVE on.. CCA is in bed with most of those groups that would have you put up your rods and reels,oh wait that will be AFTER they get rid of nets,right??? So that doesn't affect you correct?? Think again my fellow fisherman,it's coming and coming for your children that may never see the thrill in catching a fish or enjoy eating one.. Keep on throwing the "rec vs com" arguments out,it is EXACTLY what they are wanting.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
So you think it's fair a charter person can keep 60% more then what you get to keep. If theyre allowed 5 and your allowed 3 thats almost double your limit when claims are that populations are so bad you can only keep 3 but it's ok for that guy to keep 5. If it's so bad there shouldn't be commercial harvest. You can paint it as rec vs commercial but it's really a messed up law. The commercial and charter guys won't say a thing because again they get the better hand. People who don't speak up are the reason it is how it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know much about CCA or the other groups like them but I'd believe that any group that speaks against commercial or charter would definitely get hate from that side and people easily bandwagon against any form of regulations or authority. You do know there is a push for putting caps on commercial and charter license and from what I was told it's by people already licensed trying to keep out the competition. Many forms of commercial fishing already have it and these guys lease and sell their license out. It's all greed trying to control and profit off a natural resource. No one has more right to it then anyone else.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
So you think it's fair a charter person can keep 60% more then what you get to keep. If theyre allowed 5 and your allowed 3 thats almost double your limit when claims are that populations are so bad you can only keep 3 but it's ok for that guy to keep 5. If it's so bad there shouldn't be commercial harvest. You can paint it as rec vs commercial but it's really a messed up law. The commercial and charter guys won't say a thing because again they get the better hand. People who don't speak up are the reason it is how it is.
Folks like yourself "COULD BE" the reason it is how it is.......... It's not about "fair" it is about divide... The reg sucks and we are in FULL agreement about that at least.......

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
You have no idea the impact of commercial fishing versus recreational fishing. Also I've never heard of a single commercial fishery do anything to give back to the fishery it's 100% take for them. At least 5% of recs participate in some form of helping the fishery. How does someone deserve more right to a natural resource then someone else just because they sell it? Especially if that resourcea is in need of recovery. If their still allowed to decimate the fishery it won't recover and then limits will be zero and the fishery will only be good in stories of the past. There are plenty of other ways to make money, and there is no way you can convince me that is the only way for them to make a living. Agricultural and developmental impacts are a hole other story and argument.
Will not try and convince you of anything, except to show a little respect to the people of Hatteras if you come up to Shark Fish on their Island.

When I was young I lived on the OBX during a time of economic recession, I had a choice either leave Hatteras or board a commercial boat and fish for living, there pretty much was no other work available to a carpenter. There was a sewer moratorium in Dare County and no homes were being built at that time. Zero Homes from Carova to Hatteras Inlet.

I love the beach and in the 1980's King Fishing was pretty exciting to me, so I got aboard a Gill net boat for a year or so. Less about greed than wanting to be able to live at the beach and have an active life with some level of adventure. I also was there to fish and to me fishing with nets and fishing with a rod and reel are just that fishing.

One of the most enjoyable periods of my life, you started the engine at dark, left the harbor as the sun was coming over the horizon and set out for your nets.

People across the East Coast of the US ate the fish we caught distributed by the Fulton Fish Market in NY. Some folks like to eat fish on Fridays and some folks are unable to catch their own.

The Fishermen I fished with are part of an extended family that has been on the OBX for 350 years and were part of the Land Grant of Islanders who gave the Federal Government what is now Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Decades later I still count them as my friends, and I have always taken care of people I hold dear.

In my mind Hatteras is their homeland the rest of us just get to visit.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I catch my own bait. I don’t need to buy it. And the negative decline on flounders isn’t because of recreational fisherman it’s due to commercial. Anyone knows that. I mean stopping recreational fisherman from being able to keep flounder and blues but at the same time allowing commercial raping and decimating of the same species is stupid.
What do you do if there is no bait to catch along the shorelines? Sit around and bitch? My advice would be to stay out of Teddy's spots:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts