Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing that giant bluefin tuna are turning up off off Va. Beach and other places in 15 feet of water chasing pods of menhaden. Is this true?

I know that occasionally, live bait fishermen will catch sailfish off the piers in the summer--can you imagine someone hooking into a 400-pound bluefin off Sandbridge pier? No one would ever believe them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never heard of big blues in the shallows, but I guess if the conditions were right, anything is possible.

Bluefin are something though, I have seen Porsche size bluefin chasing 10-15 lb bluefish out over shoals in New England, and you've never seen nothing until you've seen a 1000 lb fish fly. They'll jump clean out of the water chasing blues and other "bait fish" that do the same trying to get away. I couldn't imagine one over a few hundred pounds (let alone over 1000) on the end of my line.

Tight lines,

Salty

·
Registered
984 Posts
i seem to remember about 4 yrs ago a 350lb blue fin beached itself at obx in the middle of a striper blitz! and 3 guys grabbed it. thats just what i heard, may not be true. but i think there was an article on it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Seems I remember reading a thread on the NC board on here or RDT about somebody hooking up to a bluefin on the shoals off the point or somewhere roughly 1-2mi off OBX and it dragging them out to sea. I think they were striper fishing. Seems like also somebody off of one of the OBX was hooked up to what they thought was a striper and was fighting it then all of a sudden got dumped like it was hooked up to an F-16. I reckon its possible. Could you imaging throwing a bucktail or Hopkins into a school of breaking 400lbers :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.