Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not from the surf or a pier, just thought you might enjoy it.
That's my Dad kneeling on the right. The fish weighed 1085 pounds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We need a bigger...............FREEZER!:p

WWOOOOOWWWW!!!!!

When/where was it taken?

Fish on!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As close as my limited memory will allow, it was 1989. The fish was caught in the Pirates Cove Billfish Tournament. When they hooked the fish they were 60 miles from the inlet, when they landed the fish they were 72 miles due East of their original position. They tried to hang the fish at Pirate's Cove, but their boom wouldn't handle the weight, so they took of for Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and their's held. Truely a stud.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Wilber, you seem to know alot of history on offshore fishing from th OBX. I know that th Albatross Fleet under Ernal Foster held th world record at least once. Do you know if they ever got a grander?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CDog,
I believe Capt. Foster caught the first Blue Marlin out of Hatteras. He was also the first Capt. to release a Blue Marlin. You have to remember these guys were fishing with Linen line and Bamboo poles. As far as a grander he never caught one.
I had the oppurtunity to sit and talk to Capt. Foster for the most part of a day, years ago. He had stories of the old days that give me a whole new respect for the early off shore fisherman. No GPS, No Loran only a compass. No fancy weather alerts, no Roff charts, nothing but guts and a Fan Tail Deadrise.

·
Registered
159 Posts
history of granders..

Angler Jack Harrington and captain Harry Baum ("Jo-Boy") teamed up to catch the first Atlantic Blue marlin to weigh over 1000 pounds....It was officially weighed in at the Hatteras Marlin club (1142 pounds) Fight time was 2 hr,45 mins on July 26, 1974.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We ought to have a section in the photo gallery dedicated to older pictures i'm sure the p+s plankers could make an awesome display of old pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts