Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyony have any good recipes for Blue Fish, and also any information out there on how to remove this so call OIL vein from the BLue fish? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
490 Posts
What you need to do is, first Filet the fish and remove the skin then you remove the dark meat along the back on both filets,
cook while fresh not bad eating. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Bluefish Cakes

1 lb Poached bluefish fillets,
-skinned
1/2 t Seafood seasoning
2 T Minced onions
1 T Minced green pepper
2 Eggs beaten
1/2 c Finely crushed cracker
-crumbs
4 T Mayonnaise
2 t Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste;
-preferably light on salt
-and a bit heavier on pepper

Flake bluefish, then mix all ingredients together; form into cakes.
Fry at 350 degrees until light brown. You can also broil them 8 to 10 minutes on each side.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Once you catch a Blue,filet it before it dies,so that dark strip won't get the meat any stronger tasting and clean it just like OldSalt says.But I prefure a smoked Blue like Big T. Spray some non stick spray on your grill(low heat)place filet on grill sprinkle some salt,pepper,old bay,cut lemon slices(paper thin) and place on fish,cook until done 3-4mins.enjoy :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like 'em chunked and fried in breading or a batter. Right after I land them I stun them and bleed them. Much better tasting that way.

.....Kurt

·
Registered
348 Posts
ok, so IF i catch one, how do i bleed it??

i usually stun my fish and ice them down(walleye, perch).
thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
JerryB,

I usually cut under the gill plates and up through the artery going from the heart to the gills. The head is nearly detached and you can see the artery to cut if it wasen't severed the first cut. They'll bleed for a good 10-15 minutes so don't put them in the cooler right away. After this time I either gut and clean them or just rinse them out and toss them in the cooler.

Oh, one other way to make them better: once you land them, toss them back. It seems that they grow larger that way :D .

.....Kurt

·
Registered
15 Posts
For 1-3# blues. Fillet them out and leave the skin and scales on. Put them skin side down on the grill. Coat them with a mixture of Raspberry vinegarette, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper and 2-3 packs of artificial sweetner. Grill them until skin hardens - the meat will lift off the skin and the red meat pulls away. The skin will be like cardboard after it cools - just peel off and put in trash.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Fillet?
Maryland DNR can give you a ticket if fillet a bluefish while fishing. You are not allowed to fillet any fish that has a size or limit requirement at the water.

Bleeding...
1. Make a small cut at the base of the tail to the bone.
2. Run your knife through the side of the fish just behind the pectoral fins making a complete slice behind the head and out of the throat.
3. Place the fish is a bucket of sea water.

It ain't pretty but it works.

·
Registered
797 Posts
james and/or jimmy j. hi guys. while you are on the topic do either of your old school veterans have a recipe for fish batter(sp)? i would like to deep fish some fish, perhaps this weekend if i can ransom my fish fry from the director of the remedial group.
thanks in advance.
ralph

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Big-t try this recipe. I am filipino and my mother uses this on Blues and Boston Mackerel
Take your filets and marinate them in equal parts of soy sauce and freshly squeezed lemon 1 clove chopped garlic . Don't add salt because the soy adds enough pinch of paprika and freshly cracked peppercorn to taste. marinate overnight then bake covered in oven for around 15 minutes remove then squeeze lemon to taste sounds weird but damn it tastes unbelievable
Good luck
Nate Lazaro ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ralph: When you're at the outer banks - get some of the House of Autry Seafood Batter. Until then - take a mizture of 1/2 flour and 1/2 fine corn meal (season to suit your needs). You can roll filets dry or you can make a thick batter with some beer.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
If you guys and gals like the taste of crab imperial you're going to love this recipe.

BAKED BLUEFISH IN MAYONNAISE

Ingredients
4 pounds (or larger) bluefish, dressed
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tbs. mayonnaise
2 lemons
1 med. onion, chopped
2 tbs. parsley, chopped
Paprika

Instructions
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F

Wash and dry fish. Salt and pepper inside and out. Coat with mayonnaise inside and out. Place fish on heavy aluminum foil lined baking pan. Arrange lemon slices on top, sprinkle the onion and parsley around. Dust with paprika.

Turn oven down to 400 F. Bake fish 10 minutes per pound.

TIP: Don't worry about using too much mayonnaise - you won't taste it. It keeps the fish moist and delicious.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

credits
From Favorite Seafood Recipes of the Eastern Shore by Joanne van Roden (out of print)

Once you've had bluefish this way it'll become your favorite, guarantee! :D

Catman. :D :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Catman I can tell its a rainey day and you are setting around with nothing better to do then look up recipes. I know the feeling.
lets say the heck with it and go fishing! :( :( :(

·
Registered
490 Posts
Got a new Lowrance X91 Fishfinder wanted to stick in the boat today but to wet for that,
wouldn't take much for me to hit the surf or pier. :( :(

·
Registered
797 Posts
jim, thanks for the recipe. hey you know john at hatteras jack's recommends that "house of autry" stuff too. i may have to get someone to bring some back for me from n.c. until then i am going to use yours recipe. thanks bud.

ralph

1 - 20 of 23 Posts