Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to this article in the W. Post today: Blue Crabs Hit Lows

From the article:

The number of blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay hit a record low, marking the lowest count in more than three decades of tracking the crustaceans, experts said.
The annual Baywide Blue Crab Winter Dredge Survey, which comes up with an estimate of the blue crab population, this year tallied 227 million crabs, the “lowest abundance observed since the survey began in 1990,” said the authors of the count. Officials say the survey by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is key to knowing how to manage the number of blue crabs that can be harvested each year by commercial and recreational fishing operations.

It's pretty interesting, it's not alarmist but it expresses due concern, and it doesn't finger any one culprit, instead mentioning pollution, storms, loss of grasses, oxygen depletion, and harvesting equally.

·
Registered
25 Posts

From the article:

The number of blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay hit a record low, marking the lowest count in more than three decades of tracking the crustaceans, experts said.
The annual Baywide Blue Crab Winter Dredge Survey, which comes up with an estimate of the blue crab population, this year tallied 227 million crabs, the “lowest abundance observed since the survey began in 1990,” said the authors of the count. Officials say the survey by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is key to knowing how to manage the number of blue crabs that can be harvested each year by commercial and recreational fishing operations.

It's pretty interesting, it's not alarmist but it expresses due concern, and it doesn't finger any one culprit, instead mentioning pollution, storms, loss of grasses, oxygen depletion, and harvesting equally.
Bullshit.I crab alot and there plentiful. The commercial crabbers are doing there gouging just like all the other greedy ass company's PERIOD!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
" ....... and an uptick in crab predators such as blue catfish and red drum. "

I sort of expected some mention of Rockfish. They likely eat more than all others combined.
And they're largely protected, right ?

·
Registered
1 Posts

From the article:

Due to the global warming and changing climate, the blue crab population is moving to the north and even to Europe' coast where they're considered to be the invasive species.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Due to the global warming and changing climate, the blue crab population is moving to the north and even to Europe' coast where they're considered to be the invasive species.
Yeah, I'm not sure they moved to Europe by themselves, but I've read of blue crabs being sucked into the ballast holds of big cargo ships in the Chesapeake, and then being flushed out again in other ports around the world. Apparently the Gulf Of Aden, Red Sea, and Persian Gulf are having a big issue with them as they've turned up there and outcompete local species.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Care to provide some links to peer-reviewed studies indicating the role of global warming in the spread of blue crabs northward, to the detriment of their more established southerly populations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Global Warming! It has been 50 and 52 degrees in the morning for about a week now. That is odd for the end of June. Don't you think?

I totally agree with you Andy! This is the coolest Spring - beginning of Summer I've ever seen in my 68 years of existence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts