Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is catfish time for me. I would like to ask the forum " Do you winter fish for blue catfish from shore? Have numbers and sizes been declining?"
I have not caught a blue cat over 20 pounds from shore this winter. My usual place for catfish is the Chickahominy or the Chowan. Thanks for any information.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
If they continue to catch fish over 20 and bring them home,yes it is going to decline.. Jmo ,just like other species there should be at least some limit.. If you are catching to eat don't you think one fish at 20 is enough for a meal? A forty lber isn't going to taste as good as a 10-20.. Those over 20 take a while to grow that big,and (no scientific basis, as I'm not an ichthyologist} but would think those are the breeders..?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Taking 4-7 years old to be mature enough to spawn and people keeping every one they catch will eventually lead to reduced stocks. Most bodies of water need to follow suit and make them game fish and get some slot limits on them. Starting to be lots of money changing hand in tournaments and by recreational fishermen so I'd expect it to happen sooner than later.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I may have misled you.. I am strictly catch and release. On the same subject: What other bodies of water have you caught blue cats in Va/NC? I have caught b.c.s in Chowan and Chickahominy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I target blue catfish in winter also mostly from my buddies boat, we fish nw river, went last wx caught five 5/15 lbs, I have fished the chick from the little pier never did any good but I know they catch them out there

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fishing very poor Back Bay/ Knott's Island area Saturday. Rain this week got water murky,cold and extra high.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I target blue catfish in winter also mostly from my buddies boat, we fish nw river, went last wx caught five 5/15 lbs, I have fished the chick from the little pier never did any good but I know they catch them out there
What sort of structure do you target on the NW?

·
Registered
888 Posts
we just try to find the deeper holes, drop noodle jugs and throw cutbait on the rods, we know a couple of stretches that have produced for us, fresh white perch and cut mullet have done good for us

1 - 10 of 10 Posts