Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys a lot of messages lately about Bloodworm size.

You can correct me if I am wrong but I have always heard there are only a few wholesalers in the area. Wilcox is the one that serves South Hampton Roads. They bring them down from Maine in large boxes. Then sort them out for resale to the tackle shops. I think there is one in Currituck too. But realy only a few places the tackle shops can buy them.

When the wholesailers package in retail bags size depends on the harvest up in Maine. And a period of very low tides means larger worms. Makes sense, the diggers can get to worms that have been underwater during regular tides and not dug as often. Years ago I did not see two sizes for sale. But it seems now they make two size sorts.

While the shops can sell them for anything they want most charge the same except the piers may be a buck higher a dozen. And the shop that has large worms today may not have them in the next shipment

I don't like paying a lot for small worms but I don't think the tackle shop can do much about it. I have often seen people make a stink with the guys in my local shop when they see what the worms look like after paying 650 for a dozen.

Give the shops a break The worms are probably the cheapest part of your trip.

Boats

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
How much do the retailers pay for them?

I think that most anglers hate paying big bucks for worms that are puny punks knowing that the retailers are making a kiling on them.

When you have to put three or four worms on a hook just to cover the point, the price of using worms becomes real steep. Using squid at $3 a box becomes a good alternative..

I would rather pay $10 a dozen if they were all fat...

·
Registered
634 Posts
i havent seen small or skinny worms at lighthouse tackle all summer....always big worms..maybe they have a hook up?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Buy the Bloodworms AND Nightcrawlers & Mix them, one each on both hooks, make them go farther & Nightcrwalers are much cheaper. When the spot are running, nightcrawlers work just as well for me. Good luck-------That is true about Wilcox, Ocean's East told me that same thing years ago. Some (not all) Farm Fresh Seafood Departments sell both.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Blud Wurms...

Feel like getting ripped off on the worms?

I buy blood worms regularly for bait - not alot of them, but like to have a few for bait whenever I fish. I have notice that many grocery stores stock the things, as do many tackle shops. SO You get used to pay x-amount of dollars for them, might save a few cents here and there by smart shopping - but not really worth the time and effort to save 50-cents every once in awhile.

What raised my eyebrows was the price of bloodworms down south in the OBX. On average a dollar or a little more LESS than prices in Tidewater. Hmm. I looked at the bag and it is the same distributor as those selling here in this area. Who is making the buck? The wholesaler or the retailer? I dunno. What I do know is a bag of the things is expensive - we stopped at the Va Beach fishing center to buy some, I sent the wife in for them while I watched the boat. She came back all happy with two bags of blood worms @ $7.50 each!!! Ouch!!

Did you know that bloodworms are also found in our waters? Yes, they are. While fishing the beach and marsh areas inside Rudee I rolled some rocks around looking under them for a small crab, snail, or clam for bait. Did not find any, but what I did see were small bloodworms in the mud. They were small, but I am certain there are bigger ones around.

Lou

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys I don't own a tackle shop. I am on there side. When Bass Pro and Wall mart run them all out of business were am I going to get the lattest fishing information or a part for my 25 year old reel. And you can bet walmart will not spend any effort on prime fresh bait. Never seen them open early to get fresh menhaden from reedville

Could be the OBX shops sell for a dollar less due to competition. That is about all the dif in price I generaly see.

We do have the same worm here. Problem is the small range of tide does not expose enough flat to make digging worthwhile. Sometimes you pull up a clump of oysters on your anchor that is full of small worms. When I do I save them but have never seen any way to get enough for a trip. AndI have never seen the big fat ones you can buy in this area.

Way I save on bought worms is take care of them. Keep them away from Fresh water and cold they will last a week. But you have to rotate the plastic bag. Everytime you go into the fridge turn it over. They live longer if not allowed to sit in the same place all the time.

Boats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts