Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloodworms are a great saltwater bait, but I am cheap. Where do bloodworms grow naturally and is there any way to go out and findsome? Why are they so expensive - $6.50/doz? I am guessing they are more expensive than nightcrawlers because they are harder to keep alive. Thanks for any info you can offer.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Blood worms grow in the mud flats in New England. You can go and pick your own, but I think the trip up would cost more than than the worms.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be a long drive from DC. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Littlefry - I have never bought them around here, but they are $6.50 at Lynnhaven pier, and the little store on the way to Sandbridge pier, both in VA Beach. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Man!!!! I'm lucky, I can get them here for $4.99-$5.50 and they arre the good big ones. Thats why I always get my bait before leaving home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bloodworms

Cobia seeker,
I want to know where you are buying your worms! I think greentop is $6.50 and last time I was not that happy with the quality, we bought some at a bait store on the way to lynnhaven for $7.00 for nice jumbo ones, but if I can get them cheaper locally I would do it!
Jules

Fish ON!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Some harware stores sell blood worms for cheaper.
The grocery store ones at Farm Fresh can be small.
I'm not talking Home Depot of course. There is a
Robbies True Value hardware store near me that has them for
cheaper.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey jules, theres a couple of places. The Marketplace conveince storre on Rt. 10 in between Chester and Hopewell has nice worms for $4.99 a dozen and the other place is in Petersburg and they are around $5.50 to $6.00.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Years ago I dug something up in Lynnhaven Inlet in Va. Beach in the middle of the winter that strongly resembled bloodworms, though smaller. They even had the hooks in their mouths--I got bitten.

But I don't think anyone has tried to cultivate bloodworms outside of their natural environment on the mudflats in New England. It's a shame they just don't keep longer. I'd rather be able to keep them longer than a week. Maybe some of the fisheries types (I'm looking at you, Salty) might know more about their natural habitat and be able to speculate about how to keep them alive longer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here's a bit of trivia for you'all. Bloodworms are called ragworms in the UK and they have big cousin that lives in one small area in the south of England. The King Ragworm grows to about 3 feet in length and will last many hours fishing. Fish go mad for them. A problem is you have to cutt them up to use them and when one get you back it hurts like h**l. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The King ragworm sounds like something out of the movie Tremors. I wonder if we could have some shipped?

·
Registered
309 Posts
OB: Sorry - missed a point. Search on Google using "UK King Ragworm" and you'll find a selection of sites offering King Rag.

All the best . . . FR

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The website says that the sandworms live an average of one week. I may order a dozen just to see what they are. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the info FishRung.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sandworms!!!

They rock! I use them all the time up in northern Jersey, but you can't get them south of Barnegat inlet and forget about finding them in DE, MD or any place further south. They are bigger and tougher than bloods and work just as well if not better. I would mail order them, but you usually need to get a whole flat and I can't use them that quick. I have heard of guys raking their own as far south as Jersey.

As far as raising bloods, the condititons under which they breed are near impossible to duplicate...I read this in another post either here or some other board. I believe they breed in the open ocean during full moons, egg and sperm mixing adrift or something like that. No asexual reproduction.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
20 dozen! Guess I should have read the fine print before I placed that order! Any body want some sandworns? Just kidding. Thanks for the info duke and green. I guess I will have to hold off on the sandworms until I can get north.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Bloods and Sands

starting to sound like a gang war. I grew up in CT and sandworms were available there. I have had times when I bought bloodworms here in MD and was positive that some of the worms in my bag were in fact sandworms, not bloods.

They were much fatter and they didn't squirt such juicy blood, but rather a mixture of guts and blood (in between say a nightcrawler and a bloodworm).

Any chance they get mixed in with bloods?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts