Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to PLO State Park Tuesday, September 2nd, with two friends to do some fishing. As we came around the corner to the causeway, the water was boiling with fish. They were within 200 to 400 ft from shore and birds were swirling like a scene from a Hitchcock movie above the fish. Approximately 2 acres of boiling water. Stopped the truck, jumped out, threw everything out of the back, grabbed rods and lures and got to casting. It was bluefish on the top with rockfish underneath. Got hook ups with every cast. We were throwing fish onto the road as we got them off of the hook and casted out again. This lasted about 45 minutes. Went up onto the pier and could see another blitz to the south on the bay side about 500 ft from the shore. Went down there later on and hit another blitz that was closer in. This was rockfish which we caught on plastics. We limited out on rockfish and were headed home by about 8:30.We used everything from a 13ft rod to toss Stingsilvers 350- 400ft to 8ft rod to toss lures 15ft.It was a good evening.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
A few weeks ago me and Jason got into a nice blitz at the Naval Air Station, bad thing was they were all running small. It was fun having the entire blitz to ourselves. Glad to see that you got into some nice fish. How big were the blues and rocks running?
-Anthony

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Jam,
nice job, what weight Stingsilvers were you guys throwing? How do you retrieve those things, fast or slow?

Thanks
RD

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice! Like Anthony said that is exactly what we had happen to us a few weeks ago. When large schools of bunker all get connected together you can be sure something like that is going to happen. That kind of stuff is unreal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blues were averaging 14-20 ins. rockfish 16-28 ins. Retrieve on Stingsilver was fast.Also heard from three different sources that spanish mackerel were seen breaking out on the bayside.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It was red hot...

I used a 4oz Stingsilver and a 12' Ocean Master lite rod to pull fish from the center of the school. They were originally out between 300-500 feet but pushed against the shoreline within a few minutes. The first run had some undersized fish but the second run was filled with keepers.

It was also a good night on the pier. We didn't fish it but I saw a 5 gallon bucket filled with (2) Stripers, Croakers, Blues, and spots. I also saw two well stocked coolers on the pier. That is the good news. One guy that used cut bunker did okay bottom fishing from shore. He had three 2-3 pound blues when the storm started. The bad news is that the guys in the corners on the pier stayed on the pier during the lightning storm with strikes hitting just in front of the pier. They must have had a death wish. It is not worth it for a few fish.

Every hour the blitz would start again. I had fun and we never got our hand dirty with bait. We safely returned over two dozen keepers back into The Bay during the second run.

My retrieve was slow to medium with the Sticksilver. They were feeding on Silver Sides so I switch to a smaller lure when they moved closer to shore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts