Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a few articles about bleeding fish and wanted to see how you guys do it. The consensus seems to be cut the gills, make a cut by the tail on both sides, then drop into a bucket of sea water until it dies and all blood has leaked out. Is this how you guys do it, or do you have other suggestions?
-Anthony

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Sounds like you got it down......if I'm on the sand, I just let it flop around for a while to help in the "pumping" action.

If they're Bluefish, and the bite dies off, I also like to gut, and get the bloodline in the cavity out, rinse in seawater, then chunk in the cooler ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ll only bleed the blues I’m taking home for dinner.

Put the knife point through the gill to reach the top of the throat, pull down. If you cut him right you’ll hit the big vein and the blood will start squirting out right away. If you’re keeping a bluefish cut him as soon as you take him off the hook and throw him in the sand by the cooler to bleed. He won’t last long, rinse the sand off and put him on ice. Whether you fillet him sooner or later is up to you, just keep him cold.

I watched a fellow do this at Lynnhaven some years ago. It sure does the trick, the proof is on the plate.
:D

FISH ON

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone tried this on other species such as rockfish and croakers? I have read that people do this with all fish that they catch so that there is no blood at all when they fillet the fish. I can't see myself doing this on a partyboat while fishing for croakers or seabass when the bite is really good. Next time I go out I will try this, but it may be a while.
-Anthony

·
Registered
597 Posts
WW,
THe blood in the fish, especially after it dies can make the meat taste really bad, especially in bluefish. I personally haven't tried to bleed croaker or spot becasue I think they taste good as it is and it is less work out on the beach.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Anthony said:
Has anyone tried this on other species such as rockfish and croakers? -Anthony
Very worthwhile on Stripers IMO, leaves the fillets much whiter looking, with a cleaner flavor

·
Registered
565 Posts
This is a waste of time with lean white fleshed fish. Seabass has not fishy taste at all. Croaker has very little IMHO.

Blues, stripers, spanish macks, tuna, etc. Bleeding is well worth the effort. I won't touch a blue unless it has been bled, even then I don't get to excited about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
we bleed salmon

For King salmon on Lake Michigan we first hang up by the head.Then make a cut from head to tail along the backbone like you were going to filet but just on one side.Takes about 10min for all the blood to run out.I agree white fleshed doesnt need to bleed.Trout and salmon are the only freshwater fish we bleed...iowabohunk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts