Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing through fishing photos on the net trying to battle cabin fever and I saw a pic of a 104lb black drum my question why I don't here to much about fishing for them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Pretty good fishery for them here by boat around the CBBT and Middle Ground Light areas , some off the piers and even a few from the beach/surf, but nowhere as good as the Red spot-tails. Besides as far as table-fair any thing over 5-10lbs is a challenge to make edible, unless you're one of those eastern-shore or outer-banks locals with one of those "secret" recipes.Always fun to catch especially one that big.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good one of my road trips this year is to visit my cousin on the eastern shore what time of year msybe I'll get lucky

·
Registered
374 Posts
CBBT = Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

If you are going to the eastern shore to target black drum, try the Cape Charles area during the spring.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ditto on the Eastern Shore in the spring, mainly seaside for reds and the bayside for blacks, plus they know how to cook them there. I've had some good fish stew w/Drum from the Shore, but don't ask me how to cook it.Good luck!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
we got some of them big black drum down here in FL. Never hooked into a biggie myself, but heard of a few 70#ers being caught. I have to agree the small ones are fair eating. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I heard off seagul pier can be good in spring. Im thinking of trying it this year to. Id guess just some shellfish around rocks would work. I do know though that first chance hooked into a school of them and got one in this summer on squid. Makes it appear that they will eat anytihng.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Slaughter Beach (DE) is the big black drum capitol of the East Coast. Many eighty pounders caught every Spring, with ninety and even hundred pound fish landed. Unfortunately, many of these fish end up in dumpsters after the pictures are taken back at the dock.

Supposedly the way to make big drum edible is to fillet/steak the meat and skin it as soon as possible after being caught. Ice the meat in a clean cooler. Its a lot of work, especially while you're fishing, but leaving the drum in a fish box all night ruins the flesh. But most captains frown on a lot of boat noise, especially when anchored in shallow water, so many of these fish go to waste.

Of course, you can always try CPR -- catch, photograph, and release!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
There's a couple pictures in the display case at the CBBT of some MONSTER black drum caught off there. One was pushing 90 as I recall. Might have to make a trip up there in the spring to catch one of them.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've heared about peole catching Black Drum at Brodkill Beach(De) during May on Peelers.They also catch them along with Reds in the surf at the Viginia Barrier Islands.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ManayunkJake - you said big drum @slaughter beach in spring - is that off the beach [if you call it that] or on those floatie things?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Fordcrew!

That's on the "motorized" piers. You anchor up before sunset, chum with whole (crushed) surf clams, then set out the lines. One or two clam bellies on a 9/0 hook, set the clicker, and wait for that run....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
About ten years ago I was fishing at Point Lookout off the causeway and using sand eel and caught a puppy(Black)drum around 20#,skined and fillet that bad boy out,put it on ice,got home and grilled it with a little salt&pepper and lemon sliced thinley.Yummy for my tummy. :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts