Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody, im new to the site but i do a lot of pier and surf fishing when im home from college especialy in the summer.

ive seen several reports saying that black drum and striper have been caught at the JRB recently. does anybody have any suggestions on how to land these? ive fished there quite a bit and caught flounder and some striper but would like to start doing a little better when i go out there. thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the question, but seeing as how I watched as many fish were lost today during the "landing" part of fishing (sorry KEVIN), I thought the OP was referring to actually getting the fish on deck. If not, then this post is useless, but here goes...
I learned today that one can never have too much tackle. Besides all the terminal tackle you will need in case of multiple break-offs, when fishing on a pier always bring a drop-net, grapple-hook or extendable gaff. These items will increase your chance of getting heavy fish Although a drop-net may be inconvenient (bulky) it is obviously the better choice if you care about the condition of the fish should you need (or want) to throw it back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Kevin, I know you gotta be mad. :mad: How big is huge and what did he hit on? What happened? I headed out yesterday to try to cut across the bay for them big blacks but got my arse handed to me at the mouth of backriver. 15-20 knot winds = no fun!

Ben

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you want to catch black drum then your best bet is to go to the new buckroe pier when that opens or Ft. Monroe b/c it's on the bay side. That's where all the Black drum will be caught to my knowledge and experience *inshore*...good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.