Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's that time of year again. Every afternoon around 3 all the way from Ocean View to Chick's Beach, big clouds of birds start diving over stripers exiting the bay. With a little luck they should come into the surf. Has anyone else lucked into a daytime blitz yet?

·
Registered
998 Posts
scroll down the page to the chix beach report.

its not my report but here it is-
"Fished from 330pm to about 415. Limited out in 5 minutes. Birds were right on the beach about 10 minutes. Both fish was 19 inches. Ended up catching 7"

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been doing some work at the last house on Sandfiddler for the past couple of days and have seen plenty of guys fishing off the beach and haven't seen anybody catching anything. Have to agree with Lopez. There are plenty of dolphins out there.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the drive down to Sandbridge today, hoping that NE wind would turn things on. Nothing at Chick's, nothing at the Oceanfront, and a single small pod of birds lazily diving just south of the LIP.

Came back tonight and soaked bait at Chick's, nothing to show for it except cold fingers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ive been fishing the hbbt and have caught a few fish on the flood tide ,had one day blitz with bait running up on the bars but since then its been slow with some larger fish being caught at night with some live baits.havent seen many specs being caught probably due to the larger stripers feeding on them ..

·
Registered
29 Posts
during a blitz you can almost throw anything! i prefer using a yellow and green jig head with a green bass assassin. (orange) you can get live eels at any decent tackle shop . i know virginia people dont like to hear this but im from the north and i fish baby black fish or flounder and normally they produce fish everytime down . using a standard swivel and sinker with a 6 foot leader and a circle hook.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i think u mean baby seabass and they along with the baby flounder are illegal to posses,a 6 foot leader ,are you kidding,u deffently dont need to be sharing advise,go back to canada or whereever u are from,or keep your fishing secrets to yourself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
haha ian are you kidding? and yes we fish baby black fish through the rips along with flounder so go cry too somebody else about possesing these great baits...and im from montauk where we fish alot harder then guys like you down here .. 6 foot leader absolutely normally with a drail.. and a summer flounder or winter flounder ... and as far as me not knowing what im talkin about i worked on a charter boat as a first deck hand for 7 years .. did a year gillnetting and worked on a swordfish boat .. so if you want to test me on my knowledge then go ahead tough guy .

·
Registered
862 Posts
Good luck if the Man boards your boat and sees you in possession of undersized blackfish (tautog) or summer flounder. Those are give-me tickets. Also, I am pretty sure both have minimum sizes up Montauk maybe not years ago but they do now.

Around here we call that poaching and most folks hope you get caught and get what you deserve. Lots of folks here (me included) call on folks especially when the violations are blatant.

That being said there is no minimum size on winter flounder or hog chokers (A kind of founder) if you can catch them and use them for bait. Also live croaker and spot make great live bait. Menhaden works if you can keep them alive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts