Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that since I have started throwing with longer spinning rods (7-8 ft) as opposed to the freshwater ultralights I am used to working with, that I seem to spend some of my time untangling masses of line that turn into a birds nest of sort.

Most of the time, the tangles come out, yet at others they are horrible and must be cut.

Think I am using 14lb line. This usually happens when I am throwing lighter lures, but happens with heavier ones as well.

I am sure it is technique, but at what point am I screwing up?

Dont' get me wrong as every cast is not a mess, but I would say that 1 out of 30 can result in this issue.

Any suggestions appreciated as always!

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
668 Posts
cap i'm sure some of the other guys can explaine it better but your nesting has more to do with your spool tension and magnetic breaking. even the best casters blow up. and yes even in tournements. if you push the envelope the closer to free spool you get the better your chances of nesting. try starting with adjusting your spool tension, but then we dont know what kind of reels your using?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nesting

I was having real prob lems with power pro and wind knots. Using 30lb, now when I cast and the line is just coming down I very lightly, repeat lightly touch the spool on the spinner as the lure starts it desent. Seems to work very well, sometimes there is a boo boo but for the most part works ok

·
Registered
627 Posts
You did say "spinning", but you didn't say what kind of line. So I would guess wind knots in a superline is what you're talking about also. If using mono and getting those tangles, I'd suggest reducing the amount of line down from the rim of the spool. Also would try a different mono. Same thing for superline, would also first try reducing the amount of line on the spool, then changing brand of line. I ditto what folks say about PowerPro. Too many wind knots were happening for me with PowerPro, and they stopped happening when I spooled with Fireline. Also, light lures will have a tendency to produce those tangles, so if the above suggestions fail to work, may want to go up a fraction of an ounce in the lures you're using. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have stopped using Power Pro on spinners--wind knots were costing me a fortune. Exclusively casting 1-3 oz spoons and jigs on 10-20#. Wind tight on retrieve thru my fingers, ball bearing swivels, 1/2 strength casts--I've had it. Use it as backing now, allows a lot more line to be placed on the same size spool.

Very disappointed in the product, when it doesn't knot it casts much further than mono, but not worth the hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts