Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here’s an attempt to photograph my way of tying the Bimini Twist. It’s not pretty; working the camera with both hands tied up (pun intended :redface: ) isn’t easy. Anyhow, this isn’t the only way, nor am I saying this is the best or quickest. It’s just my way that requires only your two hands, a rod and a reel (my lovely Blue Yonder, in this case). The line I’m using is 20lb Ande in the “Envy Green” color for the highest visibility on camera. Some of the pics are rather dark, and I brightened them up as best I could. Enjoy. :)

OK. As promised, two hands, a rod and a reel. Well, and line, of course :p Thread the line through the rod, all the way through the tip and all. Pull down enough to reach the reel, plus around a couple feet extra. Put the reel in gear and tighten the drag.

Make a loop, leaving about 12” of tag end. Hold the standing end and the tag end with one hand, and the loop with the other.

Make 20 twists however you can. I just “twirl” my left hand and each time it goes around, it makes a twist, so I go 20 times. This part is hard to explain without a video camera so you’ll just have to think about it. :p

Now, here’s the part that gets people…”what do I do now that I have a loop in one hand, two strand of line in the other?” and “just how in the [email protected]@#%^$%@^ am I supposed to pull the standing end straight, the tag end at a 90 degree angle, and push the twists up to form the bimini twist portion?” Well, here’s the answer…loop the loop onto the reel. This frees up a hand to push the twists up towards the tag end while allowing the other hand to hold the tag end at a 90 degree angle. After you’ve looped the loop onto the reel, crank down the handle so that it tightens up the standing end and keeps it all tight. Keep your grasp on the tag end this whole time!!!

Now, at this point, if you’ve been following the directions, the rod and reel should just be sitting there in your lap or in a rod holder, a slight bend in the rod because the line is tightened down, and your hand holding the tag end. Your other hand should be free, and the knot thus far should not fall apart.

Start the twists by pulling the tag end up at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the line. Keep holding the tag end!

While still holding the tag end, stick your finger between the crook formed by the twists between the reel and the main body of twists. Push (or pull, depending on your angle) the “crook” towards your hand holding the tag end, letting the first few wraps coil onto the main body of the twists. Don’t worry too much about it being loosely spaced, just get the “barrel twists” on top like in the left portion of the pic where the tag has collapsed back onto the twists and is forming more twists on top of the existing ones. Make sense?

Still with me? Still holding the tag end? Good. Let’s proceed. As the first few twists form up, you can push them together to form the tight “barrel twists” in the body by keeping one finger of the pushing hand in the crook, and pushing with the thumb and fore finger of the same hand. Basically, you want to make the barrel twists tight and neat, while keeping twists under it. After that’s done, finish making the barrel twists on top of the body until the loop of line on the reel has no more twists, as seen in the picture.

Here’s a picture of the body of the Bimini Twist close up. Note that the barrel wraps are smooth and tight against each other, with no gaps, and the two legs of the loop are straight. The lines under the barrel wraps are still crossed several times and are locked in by the barrel wraps; this is what contributes to the integrity of the knot. Keep holding the tag end!

Tie a half hitch around one leg of the loop. Now, you can let go of the tag end because the half hitch locks in the body of the BT so it won’t come undone. Some folks like to put a half hitch around the other leg, and then one around both legs after. If it strikes your fancy, feel free. Hey, it’s your line! :D

To finish the knot, you make a loop with the tag end, and bring the tag inside the loop around the two legs 4-6 times.

Now, slowly draw it down until the big loop is gone, but still loose. Lube it up generously with spit, and in one quick, smooth motion, draw it tight against the body of the BT.

Tighten and trim the tag end.

Here’s the finished product. You should have a nice, small neat knot and then a loop. The loop is the double line portion of my shock leader knot and the Bimini Twist is what forms it. Depending on the initial size of the loop, you can make the finished loop bigger or smaller. If you want the loop really small, it can be looped on the left side spool knob (on dual knob Abus, anyway) instead of the main body of the reel. I cut open my loops anyway so it doesn’t matter to me.

Here’s a close up of the knot.

I hope you guys like it! :fishing: :cool: :)

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
My knot tying arsenal is quiet limited. What is the Bimini Twist used for?
For joining main line to shock leader. The best and strongest way is to do a bimini twist (or spider hitch :cool: ) in your 17-20lb main line and then you attach this doubled line to a 40-60 lb shock leader. This forms a 2 knot system but both knots have a small profile/diameter.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I used to tye the Bimini Twist but I have found personally that an improved Albright knot works just as well. I have never had a problem with it. Does anyone else use this ?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Well, here’s the answer…loop the loop onto the reel. This frees up a hand to push the twists up towards the tag end while allowing the other hand to hold the tag end at a 90 degree angle. After you’ve looped the loop onto the reel, crank down the handle so that it tightens up the standing end and keeps it all tight. Keep your grasp on the tag end this whole time!!!
I hope you guys like it! :fishing: :cool: :)
THAT'S CHEATING!!! :eek: :D :p

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I tie my differently. I don't use the reel, just 2 hands and I finish with the nail knot.

Nice job.

ps.. I'd put a picture up, but I can't tie a bimini and taking pictures at the same time. :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Try as i might i have never been able to tie a Bimini twist. ( i guess it's one of those things that you have to be taught first hand)

so for mono (I rarely ever double) i use an improved albright knot. and for braid i use a knot of my own that no one i have talked to has ever heard of using.:eek: i double up my line and then tie a series of 10-20 half hitches in the doubled line then slip the looped tag end under the last (untightened) half hitch, make sure everything is tight, and trim the tag end flush. it works just as well as the bimini twist and is so easy anyone who can tie a half hitch can do it :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Bimini knot to uni knot to connect the shock leader has never failed me. I have had trouble with the albright and slim beauties beaking at the knot. The Bimini/Uni knot combination has never broken at the knot, always in the main line. And this is only when I am snagged and purposely try to break the line.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The Bimini knot to uni knot to connect the shock leader has never failed me. I have had trouble with the albright and slim beauties beaking at the knot. The Bimini/Uni knot combination has never broken at the knot, always in the main line. And this is only when I am snagged and purposely try to break the line.
what's up JL.....ya been hitting the SB surf?..pretty sorry striper season..IMHO...

·
Registered
121 Posts
The albright knot is what I use to tie main to shock. I can tie it real well and I've never had one come loose or break at the knot - yet. I have seen some discussion on strength of knots somewhere in the past. Does anyone know where that type if info might be found?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tie my differently. I don't use the reel, just 2 hands and I finish with the nail knot.
CrawFish, thanks for the PM back. I figured it out now. It was the anchor point for the standing end that was tripping me up. :)

BTW, in case anyone's curious, you can also tie BTs that have very long loops, like for IGFA record fishing...:fishing:

·
Banned
2,195 Posts
Okay i will

be the bad guy:rolleyes: for inshore fishing (like we do) where line test is pretty much matched to the fish we are going after. You really don't need to tie this knot. I know the knot isnt that hard to tie, but i find that the Uni knot tie double up. Works just as well as the "Bimini" and i can do it alot faster and don't need anything to tie it with...Knee,reel....You leader and shock leader should hold up pretty well....and they use it for Deep sea, they double about 15ft or more:eek: Don't get me wrong those are nice pictures, and the knot does have it's place. But i like to keep things simple, Uni to uni double up works just as good....but thats just me, nice looking knot:cool:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
be the bad guy:rolleyes: for inshore fishing (like we do) where line test is pretty much matched to the fish we are going after. You really don't need to tie this knot. I know the knot isnt that hard to tie, but i find that the Uni knot tie double up. Works just as well as the "Bimini" and i can do it alot faster and don't need anything to tie it with...Knee,reel....You leader and shock leader should hold up pretty well....and they use it for Deep sea, they double about 15ft or more:eek: Don't get me wrong those are nice pictures, and the knot does have it's place. But i like to keep things simple, Uni to uni double up works just as good....but thats just me, nice looking knot:cool:
JP-
Doubling the main line to the shock is just additional absorbtion for the main line to the shock leader.....guess its like having a vehicle that has regular rotary breaks to a car that has disc breaks...you'll buy a vehicle that you feel safe and comfortable in.......you'll tie a knot that know you feel comfortable and have confidence in....but like buying a car their are always better alternatives.

The other reason to double yer line is to allow a transition from your main line to your shock...once you double 17lbs test..it becomes 34...which ya then connect to yer 40-60 lbs shock leader......I used to connect the shock to main line using (single line method) the improved albright or even the uni to uni- but since I learned the BT and even a Spider Hitch..I've never looked back to the single line to line methods.

But to each his own....I've seen and heard tales of folks fightin their fish of a life time and their knot(s) that connected their main line to shock failed...bad knot?bad line?user error?....all reasons that suck when loosin a trophy fish...but if you can control 2 of the 3 reasons....well heck...I'll take tha double line...and improved alternatives

JMHO...

·
Banned
2,195 Posts
It early

and i wish i was :fishing: But its to Cold!!! so i decided to do this knot with "Braid" :eek: The knot came out really small (30lb braid) did the 20 wraps then lock it.....I was thinking of tying the leader with a Bristol (no name) knot...Has anybody ever try it???? seeing how small it is, 50 or 80lb braid would cast pretty easy thru the guides, so you will be able to do a few wraps around the spool. You would be able to put alot more pressure, once you got to that point. And your leader should give you enough give. Maybe its already been posted, but its worth trying...:cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
and i wish i was :fishing: But its to Cold!!! so i decided to do this knot with "Braid" :eek: The knot came out really small (30lb braid) did the 20 wraps then lock it.....I was thinking of tying the leader with a Bristol (no name) knot...Has anybody ever try it???? seeing how small it is, 50 or 80lb braid would cast pretty easy thru the guides, so you will be able to do a few wraps around the spool. You would be able to put alot more pressure, once you got to that point. And your leader should give you enough give. Maybe its already been posted, but its worth trying...:cool:
Works great,been tieing bimini to noname in braid to heavier mono leader for several yrs now..
It's compact and strong if tied where the tag end is at a 90 degree angle to the running line..

1 - 20 of 67 Posts