Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody care to comment on the impact May's Bike Week(s) has on trying to fish, expecially in Murrells Inlet. I haven't been down to MB or MI during May and I know they aren't on the water (maybe), but getting my boat in the water, finding a place to stay, etc. seems like I'll have some problems.

I'm not against bikers, being a Harley rider myself, but my fishing tends to take precedence and I would truly like to hit them when the water starts getting warm.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Can't speak to the impact, but an interesting note. Horry County has just passed stricter helmet laws and they have signs posted all over the Grand Strand. Also, credible rumor has it that in the future the Myrtle Beach area will no longer be hosting Bike Week.

Evan

·
Registered
996 Posts
Locals have been really pissed about the trafiic, noise, and all kinds of problems associated with bike week. I was up there last year with my family (totally forgot it was bike week). No problem getting a room at the Georgetown Hampton Inn which was where we wanted to stay anyway.

Only problems we noted
1. Getting anywhere in the car was a problem. 2 1/2 hours from the Strand to Georgetown.
2. Some streets were either closed off or marked one way.
3. Krispy Kreme was OUT OF DONUTS. I mean how does that happen?????? We were at one of the stores where they didn't make them in house. TRIED to get to one of the others and NO WAY, they were crammed with bikers chomping donuts and sipping coffee.
4. Restaurants were packed like Spring Break or the 4th of July.

We'd still do it again. The variety of bikes was incredible.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I understand about the new laws/ordinances (15 of them) they apply only to the City of MB and bike week will still be in Horry County/surrounding counties (according to the bike week web site.) Which means they will move out and into the fishing haunts/accesses. MI has a couple nice hangouts, and getting in/out on BR17 with a boat won't be fun with bikes all over.

As for hosting, you see that for many venues (bike week and summer breaks) when it gets too popular and too big to handle. Local gov't start to restrict, due to other costs, such as overtime for cops, takes more $/time than they bring in.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yep Tech I see what you are looking at.

From the Myrtle Beach Bike Week page:

These Rules will be in effect year-round
Not just for the Month of May
The City of Myrtle Beach passed restrictive ordinances targeting the May rallies, which brought tens of thousands of visitors (tourist) to the city. The City of Myrtle Beach has never been a sponsor or host of Bike Week. These new ordinances apply ONLY inside the City Limits of Myrtle Beach.
*** There are no events (vendors) inside the city limits.
*** All events (vendors) are outside the city in Horry County, Murrells Inlet or North Myrtle Beach.

No Events Cancelled -- All Outside the City of Myrtle Beach
As many of you have heard or received information on the events being cancelled. Not exactly true - The events will take place in the County and surrounding Counties just not inside of the City of Myrtle Beach. The City of Myrtle Beach has begun a media campaign designed to deter the respectable, law abiding motorcycle enthusiast from coming to the area. There are businesses inside the City limits of Myrtle Beach that do support and welcome Motorcycle Enthusiast. The City of Myrtle Beach can't stop you from visiting and supporting the businesses that support Bike Week. Looking forward to seeing everyone again in 2009.
So the main area of the Grand Strand are trying to kick the bikers out. That will be fun...

Yeah I heard about the signs that were up at the beginning of April and figured that they were trying to oust the bikers. Looks like it only partially worked. It will be interesting to see where this one goes.

Evan

·
Registered
996 Posts
There will likely be a lot of arrests for noise violations. THe MB cops can make life pretty miserable when they want to. I remember Sun Fun week many years ago heading to the High School gym to get one of my buddies out of "jail". They had about 3-4 hundred kids in various states of drunkeness sitting in cafeteria chairs. Most were just sitting there waiting to get bailed out. Others were handcuffed w/ zip ties; I guess they got unruly.

$300 later we got my buddy released. Hmmmmm, I don't think he ever had to go to court.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anybody care to comment on the impact May's Bike Week(s) has on trying to fish, expecially in Murrells Inlet.

usually the bikers are closer to the shore so with a decent rod and reel setup you can just toss it over there heads and go about fishing. careful not to hit one in the head with that 5oz weight. that does tend to upset them a little!

·
Registered
49 Posts
There will likely be a lot of arrests for noise violations. THe MB cops can make life pretty miserable when they want to.
Nail on the head right there lol, like I had mentioned in another post was sitting at a bar down there and they come across this guy that looked like all he owned was the bicycle he was riding..he was eating a sandwich he had bought at the store and threw the wrapper down as the cops came by on their segways..next thing we saw they had him in a cop car and a tow truck was carting off his bicycle.

Best part was while they waited for the tow truck they were posing for pictures from all of us drunk fools at the outside bar area :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
. . . . 3. Krispy Kreme was OUT OF DONUTS. I mean how does that happen?????? . . . .

That, in and of itself, is grounds for a good Hell-Raisin'! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very touchy subject @ the beach right now. If the bikers boycott the city of MB, the
local's will be hurt in the city. They won't spend a dime in MB. All the way around it.
But not in it. I feel sorry for the majority of people that want the income, don't mind
a little noise, ect. They are the ones who got screwed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I heard the bikers were heading toward Pawleys Island.....Not sure how that will effect the shabby laidback atmosphere that island is so known for.........As far as the bikers go I for one has never been displeased with them when I have stayed on bike week but I'm not one to go into the city of Myrtle Beach because been there done that and nothing there........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.