Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread on the biggest/longest fish anyone has ever caught. my biggest was a 5 1/2 foot shark off the outer banks. it weighed around 55-60 lbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Probably the 30" striper I caught last October. Either that or one of the sheepshead I caught in lake Erie (not the same as the saltwater sheepshead). We are talking about shore fishing only, right?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
20lbs wreck anchor pulled up last year @ Lynnhaven inlet.Yeah I was using 50 lbs spider wire.Screwed up my reel,dug the line in.Busted up my drag washers.With the out going current,felt like I had a BIG ONE :D :D :D :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it doesnt matter all types of fishing. man how long was that anchor :p

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Biggest fish from shore was my 36" cobia weighed 21#'s last summer.

Biggest from boat was a 25# Dolphin(Mahi Mahi) ;) that was over 40" long.But my most unforgetable was my first spanish while trolling offshore,31.5" 8#1oz. :cool:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aside from my 5 1/2 footer i caught a 24 1/2 in puppy drum weighing about 5 lbs. both caught on the same day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I caught a pretty big stingray from the beach at Grandview Natural Preserve early last fall while fishing with cut bait. I didn't measure it, but let's just say I almost got spooled even though I was fishing with 15 lbs test line. A week later I hooked up with something big at the same spot, but this time the fish ran the other way and around a pile of rocks and cut my line and there was nothing I could do about it... :( It may have been another ray or a cobia or it may have been a big striper. This year I've decided to chunk with 25 lbs test instead. I don't care much about light tackle, I mean, life's too short to let the big ones get away like that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have had LARGE rays almost spool 400 yds of 25# on my fighting rod when I would throw out cut bait on it at the LIP. My largest landed fish was a 39.5" striper taken at Seagull Pier. It only weighed a little over 17 pounds though.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Biggest, 85lb. Yellowfin off a boat 20mi. north/east of O.I. w/20lb. test spinning gear-Oct.'99, 44.5in. release citation Striper of a boat 1mi. off Sandbridge/False Cape w/20lb. test spinning gear-03/15/00 ; best probably the 49"-51lb. Red Drum @ ramp 27 near Avon off the beach w/17lb. test & a 40lb. shock line on a heaver-11/06/94 (the night B4 my birthday - happy birthday to me ). [email protected] I love fishing!! :)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
That 62 LB 3 OZ drum that fell right out the bottom of the net as we lifted it over the rail.Fell right thru and plop right back into the water and away it went. the R

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Was about 3 feet long and cover with grass.On the same day I also hooked up to a 10 foot rod and reel.I layed it on the bridge pilings and later that day saw it walk away with a stranger.I got a lotta small black shelled crabs and small bait fish from the sea-weed that washed up with both anchor and fishing rod.

But,my largest fish was a 28 inch Striper @ Willoby spit last year on 10 lbs test on my 8 foot Key Largo lite action trout rod.Fished weighed a good 5-6 lbs,a fatty.It was a good way to break my brand new rod in.
I think that would be my favorite fishing memory of a large fish caught off the shore,cause it faught like a tuna,and almost wrapped itself around that sign.The feeling and sound of the reel singing.....The bending of the rod.....The anticipation of the fish finally tiring....

·
Registered
145 Posts
when me and my father still had a boat, I caught a 54 pound black drum, biggest fish I have ever caught. It took a while to get it in the boat. And have caught sandsharks up to about 35lbs. but that was out of a boat, biggest Pier fish ( other than skate and shark) was an awsome 4 and 3/4 lb. speckle trout caught at sandbridge 2 years ago, If I remember right it was early in the season and the guys on the pier were catchin nice puppy drum I happened to catch the only speckle that day, Nice fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
44 lb Blue Cat

50 lb Yellowfin

22 lb Striper

13 lb Blue

2.5 lb Blue Gill (on Fly-Rod)

8.5 lb Rainbow Trout (on Fly-Rod)

8.0 Brown Trout

8.0 Cutthroat Trout

20 lb Dolphin

2 lb Perch

Is there anything better than catching fish!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Biggest SO FAR is 76 pound Cobia caught at the CBBT between the 4th island and the high rise bridge in June of 2003. Caught w/50lb test power pro, Penn 6500 spinning reel and heavy duty ugly stick my daughter gave me for my birthday the week before.
:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Biggest fish...cool topic!

Ok, so far in saltwater -

14lb ray - probably not really big to yall but to me it was a sea monster. Caught it on bottom rig with blood worm.

7lb blue on white and green gotcha plug (Thanks Bucket!)

Fresh Water -

23lb 4oz Coho Salmon

10lb 30" Steel Head - This was a crazy catch. At 12 years old my uncle took me fishing. I was using a broken ugly stick with light line, and we were trying to catch suckers with nightcrawlers (my Uncle smokes them). We were way back in the allegan forest (In MIchingan) fishin in the river. All day I caught nothing while my Uncle tore them up. Suddenly, a big fish jumps in the air and splashes down - seconds later he did it again and I saw my line raise in the air with the fish. My uncle said - you will never land that fish on that pole , but I fought him for 20 minutes and finally landed it. I was about 70lbs and 4ft. 10 then, so I can remember that fish pulling me all over the bank! What a day. Still have the picture somewhere at my moms.

Large Mouth Bass - 20" just over 6lbs in my secret spot in Indiana. Released.

Small Mouth Bass - 22" (we never weighed it) Was released.

Blue Gill - Now these fish are normally hand sized but I caugh a 13inch blue gill in my friends pond. What a beast.

Crappy - 16" another monster.

Dog Fish or Bow Fin 3ft Cut my moms hand really bad when she grabbed the line to keep it from goin under the boat.

14lb Northern Pike Through the ice on a small lake in Michigan. Bit on a minnow on a tip up.

Probably more but thats enough.. Im hoping to shatter all my old records on the saltwater here this summer! ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you count skates, over 100 lbs.

If not, then a 92 lb. halibut was the heaviest.

54 lb king salmon was the toughest, and 4 lb rainbow trout on light fly gear the most exciting.

Now my east coast career is just taking off, but I'm the proud lander of many 1/2 to 1 lb croakers. And two mullet that together wouldn't budge the scale.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
From boat 125lb Yellowfin Tuna

From Shore 25lb Striped Bass

Hopefully this year I will top them both.

·
Registered
36 Posts
gotta put in my .02 cents. biggest ever caught was an atlantic ray. couldn't fit it in the 36 ft boat. estimeated by the captain and mates as over 10 feet from nose to tail and over 175 lbs. but what good are stingrays other than a good fight??

1 - 20 of 61 Posts