Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHEN THE RED DRUM AND COBIA WILL START SHOWING UP AT OBX, WHAT TYP OF BAIT WILL WORK THE BEST, AND WHAT LOCATION WILL GIVE ME MY BEST OPERTUNITY TO CATCH ONE OF THESE FINE SPECIMEN OF GAME FISH.I HAV NEVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF LANDING ONE OF THESE BEAUTIES SO I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO TRIPS TO OBX IN THE COMING MONTHS. PLS RESPOND, THANKS T.Q. :)

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Cdog,

Nothing personal, but it'd help if they had someone (local) who posted on a regular basis and/or moderated the NC board :rolleyes:

For TQ, big Reds in OBX are best in Fall (late Oct-early Dec.) North Beach to "the Point" on cut bait (bunker, mullet, or fresh catch on a fishfinder rig). While Cobia can be caught off beach, your better off targeting from OBX piers mid-July to early Sept. using live bait on a king rig.

For more info ask "the Wizard of Koz" for internet links or do your own online research :D

Go fish,

`bucket

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Try spring as well as fall.. Try Ockracoke southend first,mid march.Try the point,falsepoint(hatteras inlet),northend of Ockracoke,south end of Ockracoke,and the (beloved point)anywhere from mid march thru mid may,for the drummies.. Yeap,fall works as well,northbeaches,piers from sandbridge,Va. to as far down as Avon in NC,Pea Island that time of yr is a good bet too_Oh,and did I forget,the beloved Point? :rolleyes: Yeah it works too that time of yr for the drummies.. ;)
Cobia start around mother's day continuing thru most of the summer. Starting at false point(hat inlet),the point :rolleyes: ,beaches south of point are best.. Piers are from sandbridge,to Frisco pier.. Buckroe ain't a bad pier in Va as well.. I hope that helps..... ;) :D

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS TO U ALL FOR THE RESPONSES, I DO BELIEVE ARMED WITH THE INFO I HAV RECIEVED I AM HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. THAQNKS AGAIN T.Q. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
also, for drum, the ES barrier islands produce well in both spring and fall. Onshore breezes produce best.

Other than that, drumdum's got the rest covered. You know, there's a reason he's got that name............ :D

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DR.BUBBA
EXCUSE MY IGN. BUT WHERE IS THE ES BARRIER ISLANDS?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
668 Posts
i'll start king rigging at kitty hawk in mid april but the water temp makes all the diference, in the cooler water low to mid 60's you will hook up with blues for bait and maybe a red or jack but the real fishing will start around the middle of may when water temps reach the mid 70's.

·
Registered
668 Posts
your right drumdum ive fished all the piers and the temp diff does vari between frisco and kh by about 5 to 8 degrees i suppose. frisco is the place to start and then work your way up as the temps rise. i watch the temps very closly from april to june. thats the determining factor on where to fish. its really cool to get everyones opinions on this board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts