Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught some nice pups (up to 28") every October while surf fishing on Hatteras Island (around Salvo-Avon), but haven't ever had the pleasure of reeling in a "bull" drum. I fish 24/7 while in paradise, but get serious around evening and into the night, using typical long surf rods, reels, and drum rigs with circle hooks. For bait: cut mullet, bunker, and whatever fresh bait I catch w/ my light rod. We've gotten pretty good at reading the beach and fishing around the holes, washouts, and deep sloughs too. So, my question to all you seasoned ol' salts out there... got any good tips on catching some of the big drummies!?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not a big Drum fisherman myself but I've seen a bunch caught, my suggestion would be, move south to the Point (43 and 44s closed now due to flooding but hopefully opens soon), north end of 49 or the south end of 55 at the inlet. On the way south, stop at tackle shops and ask questions .... Ginger at F&F's in Avon, Dan at RDT in Buxton and my buddy Jam at Teaches Lair Marina who has over a hundred Drum Citations ....., if all else fails, follow DD and Tater at the Frisco Hideaway, they definitely know where they at and how to catch em ..... River

·
Registered
955 Posts
Keep doing what you're doing. The only thing I'd change is switch from cut bait to mullet heads, sea mullet heads, spot heads, bunker heads, chunk of bluefish, or tuna. The area between 23 and 27 , around 34 the 55 spot River mentioned. never liked the hassle of the point except for social work.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
North beaches with north winds in October. Any ramp north of Buxton in the fall, the point south in the spring with a SW wind

·
Registered
787 Posts
Some real good advise above from the fellas here. Along with that I would add patience and time. You just gotta be there at the right time and place. Big drumming is wierd same hole same conditions one night is great the next nada the night after great again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts