Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided it is time to graduate away from the bottom rig/squid thing. Heard a lot about Big Bait, Big Fish, but not a lot of information on how to rig small croaker and spot. What are your favorite ways to rig these baits for maximum liveliness?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It depends on what type of fish you are trying catch. If your using a king rig i put the 2 trebles in the fishes back, but it depends because alot of people use different rigs than me i like usin just 2 trebles but thats off subject, try hookin them through the back/tail or through the nose thats all ive heard about and when the die cut them up into big pieces and throw them out on a fish finder rig at night for sharks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am of the school of big bait big fish, but you also have to match your equipment with your targeted fish.To answer your question to keep a spot other bait alive my preferance is to pin rig them. This has many advantages, it keeps your bait of the bottom ( so scates and other ubdesirables avoid your line) and if your fish gets tired when it stops swimming it doesn't turn on it;s side and lay on the bottom. When I pin rig I use One 6/o-9/o bait hook and one or two 4X 1/o trebles, Hook the bait hook in the back just under the dorsel fin and hook the treble just in front of the tail but dont restrict your baits abaility to move it tail( very important). Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also am a proponent of a big chunk of meat on a BAH (Big Axx Hook). For releases use circle hooks, for meat a j-hook.

Example - a 14/0 circle hook with half, or a whole, menhaden. Can't cast it too far, but don't really need to from a peir or boat.

Lou

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.