Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the winter crappie guys out there. I found this place in the summer fishing for catfish. My question is do y'all think it would make a good winter crappie spot? It's a Marina so lots of wood pilings, pier, rocks,boulders and kinda deep. Saw a couple guys bass fishing. The only local I talked said it's too close to the bay. Almost a 2hr drive for me so very interested in feedback. The North East River provides my normal winter crappie and yellow perch fun.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Question for the winter crappie guys out there. I found this place in the summer fishing for catfish. My question is do y'all think it would make a good winter crappie spot? It's a Marina so lots of wood pilings, pier, rocks,boulders and kinda deep. Saw a couple guys bass fishing. The only local I talked said it's too close to the bay. Almost a 2hr drive for me so very interested in feedback. The North East River provides my normal winter crappie and yellow perch fun.
If it is close to the Chesapeake Bay, I don't think that is a good crappie water. Unless it is not connected to the bay at all. then it could be a good lake or pond. Do you live in North East Md.? Say Hi to Herb for me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure why being "close the bay" would have any bearing on it. Joppa Town is on the bay with regular tidal movements and has crappie in it as does the Bush, the North East and the lower Susquehanna. Only in the driest of summers is there an issue of high salinity in the upper bay.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
You are right Jerry. All the tidal crappie are connected to the Chesapeake Bay in some way but far from the main salt water Chesapeake bay. That is what I thought he was talking about. Maybe he will get back with us and tell us where this marina is.

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not right on the Chesapeake but very close to the mouth of the Sassafras river. Andy it's me from Pa. We fished in Oxford at the ferry boat for white perch before. I told Herb hello for you last time I was in there. Your picture was s

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Not right on the Chesapeake but very close to the mouth of the Sassafras river. Andy it's me from Pa. We fished in Oxford at the ferry boat for white perch before. I told Herb hello for you last time I was in there. Your picture was s
Oh yea, I remember you. The upper Sassafras river should have some crappie. Maybe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andy is right about upper Sassafrad holding crappie
In winter. Many years ago I would fish the marinas around Georgetown and catch crappie. And some nice ones. For about 2 years we caught plenty of real nice ones, throwing most back. Then some of the Dutch Navy saw us catching and depleted in about 2 months. Most on the 14 ton18 in range. It is possible they hold up in the marina in betterton. I have only been to it once. My experience is the like big structures that will heat up during the day. If you do find the big breeders please send most back to spawn in the spring.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
You used to catch them at this time of year and later Andy? That would give me a great alternative outdoor activity
Yes now, and spring. Spring was the large ones before spawning. The weather has been mild so far this year. Rock fish are being caught everywhere. I could probably catch a rock fish if I tried. LOL!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are right about the ones off of 213. IMost of the marinas will not allow fishing from docks. Boat will be needed to access any good fishing. As for the Sassafras striper fishing. Has not been very good for several years. Good luck.

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a winter boat fisherman and just thought not traveling over 1hr just for 1 legal striper. Definitely plan on breaking out the fish finder and heading to Betterton at least 3 times this year. Just figuring if bass hang out there why wouldn't crappie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts