Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Stealth Magged ABU 7000.

Caught a lot of Drum before I switched to better reels.

Now that it is magged will it be back in play?

Wood Bicycle part Camera accessory Gas Machine

I have some Shimano Speedmaster ll's with BlackDog adjustable mags, it is not necessary to adjust the mag during the cast.

Certainly not as pretty as Bob's Rocket Frames, but it rode around in the back of Hatteras Island Beach trucks for many years and was put away wet.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I am going to mag my old Crusty 7000 next, this is the before Mag Photo.

Overall cost of mag project: $.89

Overall cost of new side plates ceramic bearings CT Bars $110

Overall amount of trash talking $$$$$$$

Does it look like a Rocket? Well no... Perhaps not as cool and machined looking but it hold more line.

Bicycle part Gas Cylinder Nickel Machine

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Waiting on the Epoxy to dry overnight and Crusty will have a new magnetic personality in the AM.

I am thinking I am going to re wrap my All Star XXX-Heavy 1509 one more time. I tried a color combo that is not making me feel lucky.

I almost took out the Alcohol Burner a moment ago to strip the guides off the 1509 but it was too too cold in garage for shorts and flip flops and besides I am supposed to be working. Have not decided on new color scheme yet. First thing to get over is the hours of work I spent re wrapping the rod the last time...wait I am already over that.

I want a good stick to match my Magnetic 7000's. It takes me around an hour a guide these days to wrap all time accounted for including epoxy.

With a short butt section the XXX Heavy 1509 is actually a pretty good beach rod. It not a stiff as CTS 1306 and 1307 and can still chuck 10 ounces and bait.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
First time I wrapped my All Star 1509 XXX it was A Thread under and over wraps in Ruby Red. That wrap job lasted 15 years before it had age deteriorated to the point I stripped it off. I could see better back then so I only worked with A thread. Now it is A under and D over because of vision.

The offending part of the re wrap job was using a Rose colored A thread for under wrap that did not take the threadmaster too well and it had patches of bleed thru and looked mottle.

It was most offensive on the thread wrap over the female ferrule at the end of the Blank. I wrap about a four to five inch long portion of the ferrule for no other real reason to help protect it during flexing during the cast and for esthetics. A fair amount of All Star 1508's and 1509's back in the day cracked at the ferrule because the builders had either no or only a little bit of thread like a 1/2" or so protecting the ferrule. DD had one that broke.

I cut this ferrule wrap off yesterday and spray painted the blank end after I sanded it. The guides are not as offensive because the under wrap is mostly covered by the guide and trim wraps. I have decided to just put a heavy coat of epoxy where the ferrule wrap was and wait to see if I want to strip the rest off.

I have a Century Cobia Jig Rod and Loomis 1265 to build next.

I need to test these 7000's first with their new Magnetic Personalities.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interesting....my Abu 6500 C3 has potential, eh? Not sure how to make it killer though.

I also have the following. Do they have potential? (Some were cheap, so I bought them* at Flea markets years ago. Never really used them)

Sealine X-40 SHV*
Saltist STTLW 30 HA (Used for surf casting, but LW is limiting)
Fathom FTH30 (this is my deep drop party boat reel)
Sealine 20SHA*
Sealine Slosh*
Abu 6500 C3
Avet SXJ (Not sure I like LD for surf casting)
Tekota 500

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
If it's casting distance that's required for a reel, that will typically take some experimenting. For starters, an Abu 6500 is up to the task with proper line, a good shocker, just clean the spool bearings. See what it will do with the level wind on, but for the most part you'll probably get lots more distance with the line guide and big LW sprocket removed.

The reel won't be as important as casting technique, the rod, the line. Lots of experimenting to do, but that's part of the casting fun. ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Static magged 20SHA removed Clicker and epoxy a washer down over clicker hole. Reel was then gone thru and RemOiled.
Font Circle Cameras & optics Monochrome Camera lens

Same 20SHA before pendulum cast 5 ounce Stingsilver

Wood Tints and shades Landscape Tree Soil

After Cast same 20SHA had 20 pound Big Game and ProSpec Top Shot 2nd cast of day. Was totally dumping the spool with perhaps 15 feet of line left on spool after I got the cast dialed in. Ceramic bearings. Next time I cast I will take a picture of the longer casts. Not sure of the actual distance as I cast over water but 210 yards or so of 20 pound test mono is coming off the reel.

Tire Bicycle handlebar Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

6500 C3 can be tuned to be a distance reel.

Maybe the Slosh depending on whether it is a 20 or a 30

The Avet if it is magged right.

The rest of your reels are not distance reels unless you take level winds off and mag them.

Out of all your reels the 20SHA for throwing bait and weight is the best in my opinion.

I need to get back to work.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Obviously the distance will drop with bait and a sinker but you need some line on the reel for the fish's first run.

If I get a splash bite on a stingsilver with the cast above, I may be walking back to the truck for a new set up. Which is why you never leave home without a stack of heavers ready to go in your beach truck.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If I had a GoPro it would reveal just how quick all that line peels off this 20SHA reel. Since I do not just take my word that the line on the spool just vanishes like magic.

After I got the pendulum dialed in the last casts I was thumbing the spool at the end of the cast not to prevent an over run but because I was afraid all the line was going to be off the spool and the clinch knot at the end of the line would pop off and I would loose my spool of line and worse my 5 ounce Stingsilver.

Bear in mind the rod I am, using is the very last ALL Star 1507 to leave the plant in Texas. It has a normal uncut 1508 Butt Section and 6 inches was cut off the 1507 tip. Total length of the rod is around 12'8" I think. This rod is around 20 years old. The newer Graphex Century rods would put even more hurt on the pendulum cast.

If I can train a Smoking Hot Hottie to do this I will become one of the top influencers on Instagram and TickTock, trouble is most Smoking Hot Hotties don't Drum Fish.

There is a reason Jimmy Houston or Roland Martin never came to Rodanthe to Drum Fish, they can't cast.......

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I always wanted to go fishing with Bill Dance in one of those secret Ponds where he jacks 6 to 7 pound large mouths on every other cast, in fact I would want to be the guy in the front of the boat casting my bait first to the Point or Creek Channel bend while Bill rides me around and I tell Bill how much I like his signature new PopR ....and how effective the spray stink secret bass attractant is on my Hula Popper as some big Fatmouth Bass stomps on it.

I remember watching Roland Martin being guided to the Mouth of the Mississippi River by a Local Charter Captain. Roland and his wife were all in the Big Red Drum. I quit watching these shows mostly, but Roland was on the Drum that day, his wife would not stop talking so I drifted away from Cable TV and moved on to the Internet Hottie YouTube fisherpersons....and do not even have the sound on....

Second coat of Threadmaster is turning on the All Star1509 tip, it looked good last time I checked it. It was real cold in my garage but I took my heat gun and heated up the ferrule end of the 1509 and then heated up two separate cups of Threadmaster both before and after I mixed them up along with keeping the ferrule warm. Could not have done it right with my Alcohol burner, it needed the extra heat from a Porter Cable Heat Gun.

I usually need two coats of Threadmaster, especially up here when the temps drop below 70 degrees.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tuffnik, you have several worthy candidates: SLOSH and SHA can be static magged, knobby magged or thrown pretty well as-is with blocks in. I have two stock 20-shv's and a SLSH 30 for specific applications on 10-12 foot rods. The 40 shv could potentially be used to lob a shark bait, maybe on an ole-skool 10-11 Magnaflex Heaver (meaning flagpole) with a not-quite full spool. The ulua guys in Hawaii can sling a 4/0 wide on 13' rods, no magnets.

You can spend a little or a lot on ABU's, but I'd say upgrade bearings to ABEC 5 or 7, power handle and get a CT bar from Black Dog tackle. They have videos on these conversions as well, and there are plenty of vids around to show how to change bearings. That set-up will have you looking at whether you have a rod that realizes the capability of the reel.

You could also sell maybe Tekota and Saltist and get a Fathom, then you're done, except as mentioned I like to take back-ups.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts