Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
so with softshell craps, do you just cut them into little squares or something? how do you use them? doesnt the "meat and guts" just dissapear int he water and only the shell stays. i know nothing about using softshell crabs..

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Rule #1 in my house...

Husky, how old is that oil?? I thought I remember when it first came out something about it not being able to be stored long and had to be fresh when used or it would break down and loose effectivness/taste? And no, I have never tasted it :)
1. Shedder oil must be double wrapped in two Ziplock plastic bags before being allowed in the house. Anthing that EVEN smells like sheder oil (rags, clothes, etc.) will not be allowed in the house!:eek:

If you've smelled it, you know it is true!:eek:

Sandcrab

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cyg

saxis pier is open 24hrs with light the only problem are those dang bugs.there was a large shedding house on your right when you entered town.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Further north

We use clams, eels, and fresh bunker in the fall. Mackerel is a good back up bait to.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Cyg

saxis pier is open 24hrs with light the only problem are those dang bugs.there was a large shedding house on your right when you entered town.
I hang out in Crisfield and Deal Island ... I think I can handle the bugs :D Anyway they should be slowing down about now anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
SJ,
Depended on if we were targeting cows or pan sized. Pan rock we usually cut the peeler in half or quarters (depending how many we had). When we went for the cows we'd use whole live peelers. Wouldn't even run a hook through them. Just lay the peeler along the shank of a long shanked hooked and double a rubber band around them and let them drift. Guess it was akin to live lining back then. As far as halving or quartering them, yes, they would leak their guts out which is what seemed to bring the fish in. Back then, the 70's, you didn't have to wait long for a fish to grab it. If we had no hits within 10-15mins. we moved to another spot.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
yep, mine still smells horrific even after all these years!
Hey Trevor

Go ahead and use that stuff this year at the tank when you get a chance. Make Manayunk Jake proud!!! Ahhh memories!!

Rest in Peace MJ :(

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
SJ,
Depended on if we were targeting cows or pan sized. Pan rock we usually cut the peeler in half or quarters (depending how many we had). When we went for the cows we'd use whole live peelers. Wouldn't even run a hook through them. Just lay the peeler along the shank of a long shanked hooked and double a rubber band around them and let them drift. Guess it was akin to live lining back then. As far as halving or quartering them, yes, they would leak their guts out which is what seemed to bring the fish in. Back then, the 70's, you didn't have to wait long for a fish to grab it. If we had no hits within 10-15mins. we moved to another spot.
thanks!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts