Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'll be fishing the oceanic pier in O.C.Md often from now on. Whats the best rig to use to catch fish. I know about plugs and lures , but whats good for bottom fishing. Surf I mostly use a fish finder or a top and bottom rig. Any tips for fishing this pier. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Hunter,

Well, depends on what species you're after, but you're already in the game- hi/lo for panfish, fishfinder for blues, drum, fluke, stripers....not sure if you have any drum that far up. If a pier lets me have three rods, and I'm not kingfishing, I throw those two and then plug with third. Covers your bases. You might look at a Carolina rig, which is a fishfinder with an egg sinker basically, if targeting flounder so you can drag it by pilings...they like to sit in the hollows behind the pilings. Sheephead are a little different game and if they're in the mix, best to see what the guys there are already doing...some use wire leader depending on clarity, with a small, sturdy SHARP hook and barnacle or sand flea on a Carolina rig.

tight lines,

John

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi Hunter,

Well, depends on what species you're after, but you're already in the game- hi/lo for panfish, fishfinder for blues, drum, fluke, stripers....not sure if you have any drum that far up. If a pier lets me have three rods, and I'm not kingfishing, I throw those two and then plug with third. Covers your bases. You might look at a Carolina rig, which is a fishfinder with an egg sinker basically, if targeting flounder so you can drag it by pilings...they like to sit in the hollows behind the pilings. Sheephead are a little different game and if they're in the mix, best to see what the guys there are already doing...some use wire leader depending on clarity, with a small, sturdy SHARP hook and barnacle or sand flea on a Carolina rig.

tight lines,

John
You are everywhere John LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pier fishing rods are becoming less popular as all-around contemporary beachcasters become more popular, having the ability to cast on diverse grounds such as sandy, rocky, or a combination of both.

Rugged piers may readily hook on equipment, and some have strong currents, necessitating the use of a robust fishing rodOpens in a new tab. A rapid retrieval multiplier reel is also included.

Shorter rods, about 6 – 7 ft., would be perfect for dropping bait straight down from the pier or only a few feet away, while a 9 – 10 ft. rod would be better suited for casting at larger distances and would be more suited for deep water fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts