Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Spring maid is long, and Apache seems to consistently produce more large fish.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, unfortunately I have to go next week. Can't wait for the fall. Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a pier to not allow king fishing? King fishermen are generally the ones that actually have a clue what they're doing and are not crossing people up, etc.amiright?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
2nd Avenue has a great rocky bottom, but it's off the end. If you have people king fishing off the end then no one can go out and fish with bottom rigs for eating sized fish.
I don't know the real reason but that's probably part of it. I'd be mad if I wanted to catch some fish for the table and paid $8 and there wasn't any room due to the pin riggers.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
they seem to catch more big fish in NC at Ocean Crest pier. i mean they have days of 5 or more kings. try cherry grove pier too, since it is closest pier to the cherry grove NC/SC inlet
I like the Cherry Grove Pier, but they charge by the rod. I usually take 2 bottom fishing rods and a plugging rod. $8 x 3 = $24 just to fish. No thanks. But it may be worth it if you want to try to hook into a king.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Don't know about pomps but it's great for whiting and flounder, I haven't heard them mention blues but me and my dad caught 20 12-15 inchers in just a few hours the day we got to the hotel.
For Spanish I haven't tried them at any other pier but they were thick last time I was there. I think it's more the month and getting the tide right, you gotta have a high tide while the suns still out. I'm targeting them this September and have every intention of going to 2nd Avenue. Best of all there aren't a ton of people jigging there so you have your choice of spots.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
i thought that since every spriong when spanish runs, ppl from every pioer will catch some, but crowed piers like apache, some ppl are atchign their limits within their first hour(ppl who get the good spots) while other ppl are getting 1 to 5 fish for the whole day

1 - 12 of 12 Posts