Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 17 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Cdog, I guess you and I must have been the only ones shopping there or they would still be around! :confused:

One of the problems when local shops don't have support. Just my observation, but to me the Hatteras area caters to the fisherman because the state supports the fishing community, whereas this area, well, it supports the military. No offense to the military, but it's "beer, women and pool" attitude reflects on where the concentration of entertainment dollars go. Malls, bars theaters, cheap restaurant/pool halls, etc. capture the military dollar for the most part. Now I know we have a lot of military on this board, so don't get offended, but I believe they are a minority in their own community.

I've lived here all my life and every year that we had big storms we would loose a pier. Never replaced. The beaches used to be lined with piers. You can still see the old pileings. No more. Now it's motels and condos. Property values for waterfront property do not permit, for the most part, "mom and pop" proprietorship. Taxes on the property alone prohibit it. Shame.

· Registered
270 Posts
the Rhondel, there was another pier at VA beach near the North end that was lost during hurricane Hazel, but I can't remember the name of it and there were about 4 more public and equaly private piers lost from CBBT to Willoughby Spit. The steel pier I believe was replaced/repaired once and then lost and torn down. I want to say there was a wooden pier also at the old amusement park at Va Beach, but can't be sure. I know there was one at the Ocean View Park.

I have an old map from the '50s somewhere that shows them. I'll try to dig it out.

1 - 2 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.