Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for input on which inshore reel to look for. im thinking id like it to hold around 300 yards of 30 pound spectra, maybe a little less, and have as much drag as possible. i know i dont need 20 pounds, but i like big drags because theyre smooth at low settings, more consistent, and are there if i absolutely need it. i prefer as much stainless as possible, especially in the gear train. also the ability to toss an unweighted plastic or small live bait as far as reasonable is important. im considering revos, curados, the quantum energy pt, and a few others. i take good care of my gear, so abuse from fish is more of a problem than corrosion. thanks a bunch everybody

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use a daiwa coastal inshore, abu revo inshore, curado 300's and I will be using the revo toro 50 next month.

I like them all. All have good drags. I have not used spectra on them, just don't need it.

I have 2 daiwa coastals inshores, great lo pros that palm very nice and sit low on the seat. These reels were made to fish the in the salt. I will be putting 1 of them up on the bst board shortly.

·
Registered
573 Posts
diawa pluton is a very nice baitcaster,i put over 300yds. of 30 pound diawa braid on the reel and the reel is built like a mini saltiga.another good baitcaster is the revo inshore i don't think your going to get 300yds on it though go with the revo toro those reels pump out 24 pounds of drag and will hold way over 300 yd. of 30 braid the 50 and 60 models,the 60 also has a clicker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the pluton seems like an awesome reel, i hadnt been considering it because it was a little larger though. how light a lure do you think is throwable on the pluton or toro with the slightly bigger spools? im a pretty competent caster and this isnt going to be for distance or anything

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
curados are great bass fishing reels but my experience with them in saltwater is limited....although, now that I am typing this, I'm reminded that I did land about a 50+ pound cownose ray on night from gloucester pier with that reel

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have used the Daiwa Coastal inshore for a few years now with no problems. I do not use braid, I have it spooled with 12lb Sufix tri. I have caught many fish and the drag has worked flawlessly. I purchased some Smooth Drag Carbontex drag washers for it but have not installed them yet as the stock drag still works perfectly. The best test I gave it was probably fishing for false albackore and small Mahi and it was a blast on the light tackle. I also fish the Quantum Energy which is also much nicer than the Daiwa with an external cast control. The Quantum casts a little better than the daiwa but I have not used it as much. My brother uses his Quantum with braid and loves it. It also has held up well on Mahi and Albies. I will probably pick up a Daiwa Pluton this summer, it looks like an awesome reel.

John

·
Registered
497 Posts
They are all awsome revo inshore, coastal, and curado. The curados are better for throwing lighter weights and if you get a revo make sure you get the inshore saltwater will desrtroy the the other revos i know from experience

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am using a Shimano Curado DSV 301(left) It is an awesome reel and holds a ton of line. The only other choice I think is a quality reel is the Abu Revo Toro. They are pretty nice. But I really like my Curado. Check out the Youtube videos of Curado DVS 300 and some pretty tough fish are landed with them, Cobia..bullreds,etc

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.