Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have several light action freshwater setups but think they are too light for the piers, and definitely can't get out far enough in the surf. Looking for advice on a rod / reel combo that is best suited for both the surf and the piers. I know the ig 12-15 footers are best in the surf, but would think they are too big and bulky for the piers. I think I will mostly fish the surf, but really not wanting to buy two new setups right away. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got a 4-8oz 10 footer and a jigmaster reel... it was under 200 bucks for the whole setup. I wanted to get a little better reel but once I got used to the jigmaster Im glad I saved my money. Initally I had to put magnets in the reel (thanks for the pictures sprtsracer) to slow it down a little but now I took them out. I use my setup from the beach and the pier. Depending of what bait I am trying to throw, I can thrw about 110+ yards from the beach, with 6oz of lead and casting sandfleas. From the pier I get a little further because of how high I am standing in the air but this setup works god for me from either place. Im hoping with a few little tweaks to the reel I can get a little more distance. But I have to admit, it is a great reel for the price!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
To start out with a good pier and surf rod would be an 8-10 ft spinner loaded with 10-15# mono or 20-30# braid. I'd be willing to bet that the Dick's Sporting Goods in Myrtle Beach should have an Okuma Sentara spinning combo for $90 that will be perfect. If not, the Bass Pro will have something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Just add some Trilene XL 15#, a Cajun 50# shock leader, a fishfinder rig with a 5/0 and a 5oz pyramid and you will be set.

Evan

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
tsunami trophy series surf rods are very decent for the price(8 footer 65 bucks at harlee rod online). imo 12-17 pound test line mono is good for most conditions. reel should hold at least 200 yards of line(i prefer spinning reels)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info, guys. My experience has been with spinning reels and will probably stay with them. Hope to head to Bass Pro this weekend, and with the help you have provided, should be able to get my stuff and get ready for the Spanish. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
everyone has personal preferences on this topic. I currently use nothing but Ugly sticks and I'm a fan of the Daiwa Tournament surf series reels. I have 4 of the reels that are over 10 yrs old and my Ugly Sticks are over 12 years old. Of course I have newer ones too.

8 footer work just fine for me in the surf and on the piers.

If I'm going to use the combos in the surf, I like to use 17-20 lb test, just because surf fishing is more abrasive on the line

Like I said....everyone has their own personal preference
Boaters world has TSS reels at 50% off right now

just my $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.