Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For general fishing, surf and bay, what type of line should I be looking for for distance? I am using 40lb penn, but I think thinking that is the wrong line for Casting.

I thought perhaps 20lbs because I am a beginner. Any type of brand is favored for casting distance? I use a regular spinning reel, with usually 3oz or below weights from shore or bay. Fluke flounder, and I hope one day stiper.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Dang only 2 replies. You will or should get 25 or more. For an all around Give Berkley Big Game a try. Easy on the wallet and very reliable. as said 15 to 20# should do great.:fishing::beer:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
stren, berkley, ande, momoi all good mono then if your really looking for distance try braid but be ready to change line often and wear gloves when throwing that stuff as it will cut you.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
try braid but be ready to change line often .
why is this?... I've got some PP that's close to 20 years old and although faded out is still good... that's on a reel that never seen salt though... got PP on a couple conventionals and spinners and it's 5 years plus... no problems yet...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I looked at Berkey website and saw

• Fireline® Tracer Braid
• Fireline® Braid
• Berkley® FireLine®
• Berkley Big Game® Braid
• Berkley Big Game® Hollow Braid
• Berkley® Gorilla™ Tough

also found

• Berkley® Trilene® Big Game™
• Berkley® Trilene® Big Game™ IGFA
• Berkley® Trilene® Big Game™ Leader

I recall someone recommending fireline. What is the difference between that one, and the Big Game?

I will buy some Berkley big game as you guys suggest, just need to know which one? :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
PP usually denotes Power Pro (i could be wrong)

i love Suffix Tritanium. the Tritanium model has been phased out but was replaced with Tritanium Plus...

also no problems with Yozuri Hybrid...

the way i see it... there is no right or wrong... you just have to try a few here and there and see what works.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Use mono or a co-polomer line, for now. On most surf fishing 20lb with a 40 or 50lb shock leader will serve you well.

Once you are confortable with this line & you are not backlashing, then and only then switch to a braid or a fused braid.

If what I have said is confusing, stick with mono or co-polomer, until you know what is being discussed. Sorry to be blunt, you are getting confused.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I prefer Berkley XT 17,but since Berley stuck it to us you can't buy it in big spools,So I use Suffix Tri 17 solar or the yellow,the yellow 17 can be hard to find.17 pound is plenty enough,I know a few guys who use 15 pound on abu 6500's for Drum fishing,and it handles fifty pound fish no problem,so you can kick a sissy stripers butt easily.

You just need to change it when you feel a tick in it,but you should be changing it every other day any who,I change my 17 almost every day,a big fish isn't worth four dollars of line.

oh yeah
Power pro is good stuff,expensive and a NoNo when fishing where I fish.In a crowd it is almost impossible untangle,and it will destroy Mono when it crosses it,People who fish Cape Point on Hatteras Hate it because of the previous two reasons,it will also slice you real good.
If you fish open beaches go for it,(just please don't show up on Cape Point with it)it will improve your distance,but it is kind of a pain if you are a spike fisherman cause it doesn't stretch at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts